The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:21am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   how did you get a job?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how did you get a job?  (Read 4130 times)
florida

how did you get a job?
« on: Aug 17th, 2006, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

?

This is what I am doing:

Submitted my resume to 30 firms for AIPLA job fair
Submitting my resume to every IP firm between Florida and DC
Submitted my resume to every civil practice firm in my town to work during the school year
Check Monster.com weekly
Joined online legal recruiting websites, bcgsearch.com, roberthalf.com

I want to make sure I am doing everything, that way if I don't get a job and I have to work as a bag boy at Publix with my ME degree, JD, and USPTO registration at least I will know that there was nothing else I could have done.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: how did you get a job?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 4:13pm »

I have some suggestions, but consider the source, I’m still unemployed.

- Why the geographic limitation?  I’m looking anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains.
 - How about in-house jobs?  Have you contacted businesses / universities that write and prosecute their own cases?
 - How about networking?  Call fellow alumni / neighbors / co-religionists / etc. who are in the patent field.
 - To whom are you sending the resumes?  Hopefully, individuals in decision making positions, not H.R.  Are you following up (or preceding) the resumes with phone calls?
 - Are you a member of a mechanical engineers professional society?  Do you attend the meetings?  Have you placed a “situations wanted” or “services available” ad in their trade paper?

Good luck,

Rich
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
blakesq
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 10:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds like you are doing nearly everything.  also check out the classifieds in IP Today, and JPTOS.  Other websites that you should check are: hotjobs, careerbuilders, and acca dot com.  Try networking, joing the local/distant IP bar sections.  Good luck!  Please let us * blakesq know how you are doing!
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 1:37pm »

I passed my exam two weeks ago.  So far, I've gotten mailings from three firms congratulating me and listing their services.  I haven't replied yet.  Has that been your experience?  If so,  from your posts, looks like nothing panned out though.
IP Logged
florida

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:16am »

Are you talking about recruiting firms, such as McLaughlin?  I got letters from them, saying they place tons of patent lawyer.  I sent them my resume to put it on file, and they responded by telling me that they only place attorneys who have prosecution experience.  WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SENDING ME YOUR LETTERS THEN?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »