The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 6:20am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Just once I want to see a job posting that says:
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just once I want to see a job posting that says:  (Read 4533 times)
Isaac

Re: Just once I want to see a job posting that say
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 17th, 2006, 5:31pm, smgsmc wrote:
One issue that frequently pops up in exams:  If a patent examiner leaves the patent office, he can't prosecute cases until after a year.  Am I interpreting the rule correctly?  So what do you do for that one year hold interval?  (Other than getting obese from too much humble pie).

Not true.  There used to be a 2 year prohibition on working on cases assigned to the your old group and possibly even groups with closely related art.   That rule was dropped last year.  Now there is just a prohibition on matters you worked on.  

IP Logged

Isaac
florida

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 8:04pm »

I just sent a resume to the USPTO for the AIPLA job fair.

Anything else you would recommend?
IP Logged
justdoit
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 7:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I applied for a job at the patent office, I went to their website and keyed lots of information myself.  People with bachelors degrees (or more) in science or engineering are likely to get offers. I didn't send a resume per se ... at least not hard-copy. I may have cut and pasted my resume into some entry box of some electronic form ... I don't recall. But I keyed data into a bunch of on-line electronic forms, hit submit, and wallah ... the phone rang a few days later.
Job.
Done.

The point I'm making is that a hard-copy e-mail can get lost or neglected before data entry into their system occurs.

No one's gonna love ya at the PTO baby ... so you might have to get your data into the system yourself. Then the all powerful computers will command the carbon-based life form "humans" to call you and hire you.

Oh yeah ... I should mention ... I applied in 2000 ... so ... my advice is dated ... but I'm not dated ... no weekend plans, what are you doing tomorrow night? ... I like 'em young ... oh wait, wrong website ... forget I said anything ... in fact, I was never here.

IP Logged
Scott

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 11:10am »

justdoit-

when you say you worked for the uspto and ate humble pie, do you mean that you passed the patent bar, finished law school, then worked at the uspto as an examiner? Or did you work as an attorney for the uspto?
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 6:01pm »

Why can't you get a job through the school's employment office?  The companies that recruit on campus realize they're hiring new graduates with no experience.  Just curious.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »