The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 11:51pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Just once I want to see a job posting that says:
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just once I want to see a job posting that says:  (Read 4530 times)
Tortfeasor
Re: Just once I want to see a job posting that say
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Usually companies that come to law school are looking for top 5-10% of the class so it is still tough to get a job through the employment center
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don't know how much has changed since 1999, but here's my story:
I graduated from law school in 1998 (third in my class at regional Midwest law school) (had patent bar under my belt from August 1998) at age 55.  Passed OH bar in February 1999.  Got job at major Midwest lawfirm in September.  Had one other offer from another major Midwest lawfirm to consider.  Passed IN bar in 2000.  Took in-house job in 2001 for major Midwest research lab.  Recently left to practice solo.  Life's good!
Food for thought.  The good students get jobs.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
LF

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 9:48am »

Florida:

I am new to IP, but old to hiring people. The first thing you want to do by asking for experience, is to cut down on the mountains of resumes you are going to get (remember, usually the manager doing the hiring already has a real job besides hiring!).  

The really important thing you are looking for is not the coursework (EVERYONE has done that), but the additional things someone may have done. These point to their interests and other capabilities.  

If getting experience is important, recall that nothing (other than $425; $75 filing, $100 examination, $250 search) stops you from preparing and filing a patent or two (I'm sure your friends or family have pestered you with some "great" ideas). Sure, they may not account for much, but they will separate you from the rest of the applicants.

IP Logged
wallflower

« Reply #13 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:05am »

on Aug 25th, 2006, 9:48am, LF wrote:
If getting experience is important, recall that nothing (other than $425; $75 filing, $100 examination, $250 search) stops you from preparing and filing a patent or two (I'm sure your friends or family have pestered you with some "great" ideas). Sure, they may not account for much, but they will separate you from the rest of the applicants.

Given Florida's lack of experience with preparing patent applications, I would not recommend this course of action.  Without a mentor's review, the application will likely be full of mistakes.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:07am by wallflower » IP Logged
LF

« Reply #14 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 12:01pm »

Sure, but the first response is going to be in a couple of years anyway. By then, if she has been unable to get a job...

Plagiarism being the most sincere form of flattery, I believe she would be able to get significant guidance into what and how to write most parts of the specification (including the weasel language) from many of published applications and patents.

As for the claims, someone mentioned that his first set of claims was over a page and a half. Wow, when I was a lowly engineer having the process explained to me by the Attorney, even I understood that the briefer and more general the claim, the better.  

Since she will be able to ammend the claims based on what the examiner states, ... Grin

Again, by then she will have a job, and would have demonstrated to any hiring firm that she has "gumption".
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »