The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   importance of 1L summer job
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: importance of 1L summer job  (Read 985 times)
importance of 1L summer job
« on: Aug 7th, 2006, 5:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How important are the 1L summer jobs?  

I did thing a little backwards, started out doing patent research, passed the patent exam and have been transitioning into patent prosecution (in-house).  I am starting law school part time this fall while continuing to work part time.  Because I will be working while going to school, I probably will not spend my 1L summer interning at a law firm.  There is a good chance I would be promoted to an attorney position (in-house) after graduating and passing the bar.  If my current position could not transition into an attorney position, would a firm be interested in hiring me without intern experience?  Would my in-house work experience be enough?

IP Logged
Never been to
Re: importance of 1L summer job
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Don't worry--summer internships with a law firm aren't a big deal.  

Basically, law firms use summer internships to find attorneys fresh out of law school.   They hire some people they feel that could fit in their law firm, work with them for a few months, and then decide which law students they want to have work at the firm.   Of course, not every student they make an offer to accepts the offer, so there are some spots open each year.

As long as you've had some experience doing real patent work (which you will have), you are going to be at a disadvantage.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »