The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Seriously, is this a stupid idea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Seriously, is this a stupid idea?  (Read 2480 times)
florida

Re: Seriously, is this a stupid idea?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 11:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

yet if he gets the job he would work part time, go back to school part time, "get the necessary courses to satisfy part B," when there are plenty of people who are part A eligible or have already passed the bar and have litigation experience.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 11:44am »

on Aug 17th, 2006, 11:05am, florida wrote:
yet if he gets the job he would work part time, go back to school part time, "get the necessary courses to satisfy part B," when there are plenty of people who are part A eligible or have already passed the bar and have litigation experience.

They want a litigator.   He's a litigator.  That's reason enough to interview him, particularly if he is not going to be doing any prosecution.   I know litigators with history and political science degrees.  The litigator with the political science degree appears to be an excellent one based on talks I've heard him give at the PTO and at a CLE.  

If he wants to further his education, more power to him.
IP Logged

Isaac
IPNewbie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 4:14pm »

Actually, I'm a she, and they do want me for my litigation skills.  Even without the patent bar, I can do three of the four types of work the firm does (patent litigation, trademark prosecution, trademark litigation).

The fact that I do not have a tech. background is a sticking point with at least some of the partners; the question of whether to hire someone like me will be the subject of the next partners meeting, and I won't know until after that whether I have a job with them.

Those in favor of hiring me argue that as a non-technical litigator with strong writing and communication skills, I can explain difficult concepts to lay juries and judges, something the hard-core science guys sometimes find difficult.

Had I done a cold mailing, I doubt I would have gotten much of a response.  However, I got the interview through networking contacts.
IP Logged
florida

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 8:10pm »

on Aug 17th, 2006, 4:14pm, IPNewbie wrote:
 However, I got the interview through networking contacts.

I hear thats pretty common.  Good for you.  I just with I had some of those contacts.
IP Logged
jeff
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 10:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 17th, 2006, 8:10pm, florida wrote:

I hear thats pretty common.  Good for you.  I just with I had some of those contacts.

florida, if you are in law school, you should have avenues to get interviews: it is called OCI.  I just had 10 interviews this week with IP firms.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »