The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:33am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   moving in right direction?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: moving in right direction?  (Read 1000 times)
johnnyboy
moving in right direction?
« on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 2:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am graduating with a BS in Engineering in the fall.  I am interested in pursuing a career in patent law.  Is it better to apply to law school and go directly, or work in an engineering field in order to have practical experience?  Are there any other paths that would be better in terms of having a successful career as a patent? Appreciate any input.
IP Logged
johnnyboy
Re: moving in right direction?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:07pm »

nobody has any advice?  come on... somebody has to know whats good and bad.. just loookin for a few pointers
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 5:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

While you are deciding what to do, you might consider taking the patent bar.  Taking the patent bar will cost you between a few hundred and a few thousand dollars (if you take a review course), and a few hundred hours of study time.  It's a fairly small investment and this may be a good time, prior to starting law school or a full time job.

Law school v. engineering job?  Most new graduates are short on cash; a few years of a good-paying engineering job could make law school more affordable.  Also, you may actually find out that you like engineering and decide to skip the whole law school thing.  

I hope you are not motivated to go to law school just to increase your earning potential.  The wage ranges of lawyers and engineers overlap, simply getting a JD does not ensure that you'll make more money.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JAYC
« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 10:59am »

on Aug 4th, 2006, 5:46am, Wiscagent wrote:
While you are deciding what to do, you might consider taking the patent bar.  Taking the patent bar will cost you between a few hundred and a few thousand dollars (if you take a review course), and a few hundred hours of study time.  It's a fairly small investment and this may be a good time, prior to starting law school or a full time job.

Law school v. engineering job?  Most new graduates are short on cash; a few years of a good-paying engineering job could make law school more affordable.  Also, you may actually find out that you like engineering and decide to skip the whole law school thing.  

I hope you are not motivated to go to law school just to increase your earning potential.  The wage ranges of lawyers and engineers overlap, simply getting a JD does not ensure that you'll make more money.

Richard Tanzer

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with this post.  I am not a patent attorney yet, but I am an electrical engineer with several years of experience.  Engineers, even those going into management, will top out at the most 150k a year.  Patent attorneys can top out at 500k a year.  Now I know getting a J.D. degree doesn't guarantee this kind of money, but it definately affords the opportunities to, more so than in engineering.  
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2006, 11:00am by JAYC » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »