The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:51am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Where do I begin?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where do I begin?  (Read 2569 times)
Beginner

Re: Where do I begin?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 7:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am asking the same question.

Should one register to take the exam before start to prepare? What is the right way to do?
IP Logged
MindShock3

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 9:23am »

Is there a table or a method that links which sections of the MPEP go with 35 USC or 37 CFR?  So I can read the text of 35 USC the same time as the MPEP.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 9:50am »

The html version of the MPEP on the PTO web site includes links to rules and statutes.
IP Logged

Isaac
smgsmc

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 10:35am »

on Jul 25th, 2006, 7:32am, Beginner wrote:
I am asking the same question.

Should one register to take the exam before start to prepare? What is the right way to do?

One thing to keep in mind is that once you register, you have only a 90 day window in which to take the exam.  If you miss the window, you have to reapply and pay the full fee all over again.  So the key factors are:

(1) How long does OED take to process a new application?  When I called them up, they quoted 5 weeks, but mine came in two weeks.  Other people on this forum have waited as long as 8 weeks.  But that seems to be an exception.  Depends a lot on what category you fall into.  If you've graduated from a US college with a physics degree, no criminal record, etc, you'll probably be processed faster than someone who graduated from a foreign college with an economics degree and just got released from prison.  Smiley

(2) How long are you planning to study?  From reports here, varies all over the map.

(3) Do you need to meet a deadline?   You need to take it during spring break, before the end of summer, before you move, get married, etc.?

My advice:  If you have a straightforward record (and therefore don't expect an extended delay in processing the application) and don't need to beat a deadline, don't apply until you feel ready...you then have several more months margin to practice more (if needed) or in case a personal problem crops up and you need to delay the exam.

One note:  Since the exam is moving from Rev 2 to Rev 4 in mid-Oct, if you want to beat the cutover, you'd better apply right quick
IP Logged
Beginner

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 12:14pm »

Thank you very much, smgsmc. Your advice is very helpful. I don't have a deadline to beat. I planned to take the exam after mid-Oct.

You said that "don't apply until you feel ready". Do you mean that I should apply after reading through MPEP, getting familiar with old exams and feeling ready to take exam right away? Could you please give more explanation on the level of readiness?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »