The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:47am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Where do I begin?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where do I begin?  (Read 2567 times)
MindShock3

Where do I begin?
« on: Jul 24th, 2006, 1:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can someone post a link or give me advice on where to start with my Patent Bar Studies.   I start the fall semester of law school in August and hope to take the Patent Bar in December, I haven't registered yet or started studying.
IP Logged
Jeff
Re: Where do I begin?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 1:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

that's not going to happen....a concurrent study schedule of law and the patent bar will be very difficult. I'd do your first year of school, focusing solely on coursework..then take some time over your 1L/2L summer to study for and take the patent bar.
IP Logged
MindShock3

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 1:55pm »

Not sure if it makes a differece, but this fall will be the 2nd year of law school.  I was going to attempt to treat studying for the patent bar as if it was another course.  My first year I slacked off, had a vast amount of free time and didn't do so bad after all.  I was thinking that the free time could be spent this year towards this bar exam.

Do I download the MPEP(pdf) off the USPTO website and start there learning the sections or is there another method?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:23pm »

"Do I download the MPEP(pdf) off the USPTO website and start there learning the sections or is there another method?"

One alternative is to take a prep course such as PRG or another.

Assuming that you have no background in patents I suggest that regardless of whether you take a prep course, before you even look at the MPEP you should read one or two general books on patents, e.g. "Patent It Yourself."   This will give you a perspective and make the MPEP more intelligible.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
william blonigan
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 1:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For what it's worth, I passed the patent bar b4 law school and knew nothing about patents besides what I learned through the PLI course. The course, taught by John White, is more than adequate training to pass the patent bar on the first try. As long as you can set aside about 250 hours to study and your technical bkgnd qualifies you to sit for the exam, you should be golden. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »