The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 2:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10123 times)
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #45 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Anonymous,  

There is no federal common law.  You've neglected Erie v. Tompkins.   I'm in Texas, and the law to be applied will be that declared by the highest court of Texas, which has a different definition of harassment than that applicable within the confines of the 10 mile square District of Columbia.    

I would bring suit in the Eastern District of Texas, as a freeman, pro se.   I doubt it would be dismissed on a 12(b)(6).    

Congress has made its intent clear, that citizens don't have to put up with this, or any other persons anonymous internet harassment.  

Further, I don't think the respectable readers and contributors to this board should have to put up with this disruptive nonsense either.  If someone wants to defend this person, they ought engage local Counsel in Beaumont.  The last judge I spoke with gave a lot of reasons why it is beneficial to use local counsel.  

Hopefully, this prankster does not really work at a firm; the partners would undoubtedly be less than happy receiving a subpoena for their internet email records, for a cybercrime committed by one of their staff.
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Ian
« Reply #46 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How are you going to get personal jurisdiction over him.
IP Logged
Ian
« Reply #47 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:21pm »

I doubt an internet posting was directed in anyway to Texas.  

Vincent "Bo" Jackson, et al v. The California Newspapers Partnership

Unless he lives in Texas your probably out of luck.
IP Logged
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Anonymous,

Oh, it was definitely directed to Texas, re-read the posting if you need to.  The writer knew where I am domiciled, as shown by their words, and the message was purposefully sent with an intent that should be clear to any jury.   Minimum contacts are definitely met.   The poster purposefully availed themselves to the forum, deriving the benefit of information gleaned from reading a posting from a person from Texas.  The poster also derived the benefit of posters from many other states as well.  But, in the end, you have to look to the state's long-arm statute.   I really need to go tuck the little ones in now.  

What's your interest in aiding a person who openly makes personal attacks at patent Practitioners ?
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Ian
« Reply #49 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:58pm »

I have no personal interest. just in the law.  

Wouldn't you be better off going for a liable claim?  Being that this is an intel property forum?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »