The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:13am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10131 times)
adam sandler
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 11:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Listen up Patent Agent for Real,

"Chris Whewell" has cajones for using his name to express his views in an honest and obviously not intentionally condescending manner.  Your interpretation of his post is far from the norm and has in fact has a threatening tone, using his first name repeatedly, and considering your memory like an elephant's.  You're twice as condescending as he is, and immaturely intentional about it.  I'd like to empathize with you on this, but I think you're really either PMSing or just a naturally bitter person to have responded to his post the way you did.  If a passion-filled uncontrolled and anonymous fight is what you want, then go to craigslist and click on the "rants" button.  There's a bunch of "smucks" with introverted personalities who will rant for and against you without using their real names.  You guys can feed and nourish each other egos there.
IP Logged
trolleybus
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 8:31am »

The posts by the brave "Patent Agent for Real" indicate a rather large chip on his shoulder probably acquired as a result of constantly having to prove his worth in this attorney-dominated profession.  If anything, these posts would reinforce my desire to go to law school to avoid all of the aforementioned problems.
IP Logged
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 26th, 2006, 7:43pm, Ian wrote:
Is it really that bad?  I am a 1L and I left a job paying 80k to go to law school.  I didn't like being an engineer because your basicly just a "grunt".  I figured I was near the top of the scale engineering wise and going to law school 80k would be near the bottom.  Does the fact that I have 6 years experience as a Sr. Software Engineer differentiate myself from say someone coming out of law school with no experience?

I think it does differentiate you, and will help you in getting a job, assuming you are going to be writing software patents.

I turned a client away today who needed a software patent written; there is definitely demand and should be for quite some time.

Don't wait for the job though.  If you can, come up with one of your own invenitons or two and write and prosecute them, to get the experience.  Then when someone asks  you what you've done, you can show them a couple cases.
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 6:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 27th, 2006, 1:50pm, Patent Agent for Real wrote:
Dear Chris Whewell of Georgetown, Texas,
You're arrogant and you don't know how to write.
Before others come here and condescend on agents, they might consider our propensity for winding up in positions managing in-house patent application portfolios and the power that entails toward choosing outside counsel. I am one agent that remembers names and condescending attitudes. I'm like an elephant that way. They might also consider posting anonymously, as I do, when acting like a schmuck. Your attitudes toward agents contribute to the plights of firm agents. Lawyers are only more versatile than agents in law firm environments. But the sun neither rises nor sets in such limited environments. If you're bored with patent application preparation and prosecution, then please get out of my field. Hopefully you won't hang around and try to micro-manage those that find it challenging and resolve to make a career of acquiring quality patent rights for clients. Regarding companies seeking lawyers and agents, perhaps you shouldn't speak for why more ads may call for lawyers unless you've done some surveys and have statistical merit behind your arrogant condescending presumptions. Typical lawyers can't run a circle around me in patent application writing. I doubt typical lawyers have any more capacity to grow and adapt than do I. But you go right ahead posting schmuck messages with your name, Chris Whewell of Georgetown, Texas.

Dear Anonymous,      

Thanks.  The sleuths above are correct in observing from the text of my message and other sources that I too am an Agent.  Thus, your argument that I was condescending is without merit.      

I believe, as CS Lewis once commented, that: "If a man's afraid to put his name to his opinions, either his opinions are no good, or he's no good".  As a rule, I put my name to everything I write.  Posting an anonymous personal attack as you have is not very nice, and I interpret your repeated attacks as harassment.      

Everything I wrote to the OP are my true opinions, which opinions, by definition, are neither right nor wrong.   The intent of my words, clearly, was to dissuade a student from quitting law school.    

I doubt seriously that you are an Agent, since no patent Agent would attack another Practitioner, personally, in a public forum.   It's probably against the canons.      

Importantly, your posting may be a violation of federal law:    

http://thelanguageartist.com/2006/01/10/anonymous-internet-harassment-fe deral-crime/    

To the extent you used a computer to send your jibberish, your IP address and hence identity is quickly decipherable.  

See also:  http://crime.about.com/od/online/a/web_harass.htm  

If you send me a written apology within ten days, I will forget the whole thing.  

Webmaster, please do not delete the logged IP address of the poster; I believe there is reason that it will become evidence in a federal civil and/or criminal action.  

No reasonable person would disagree with anything in my original posting.      

Good Day.
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Ian
« Reply #44 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 4:57pm »

Under the United States Code Title 18 Subsection 1514(c)1. Harassment is defined as "a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose".

I think you might have a little trouble proving "substantial emotional distress"

Unless maybe the internet posting made you see a psychiatrist who prescribed you a drug for depression, you’re probably out of luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »