The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:43am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10128 times)
daven

Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #35 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 2:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

He described valid differences between agent and attorney, and he did admit he is an agent:

"I have probably done better than most, as a patent agent, but I worked very hard for a long time."
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2006, 2:20pm by daven » IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #36 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 2:23pm »

Missed it, thanks!
IP Logged
Patent Agent for Real
« Reply #37 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'd like to point out a particular passage from Whewell's post:
"Looking at most of the job listings, Agents are called for much less than lawyers, because companies deem it valuable to pay the extra money to obtain highly skilled, versatile workers."

That's easy to interpret as a condemnation of patent agents. I consider myself both highly skilled and versatile. I handle a big variety of demands toward writing styles from many supervising attorneys. I'm versatile. I keep those supervisors out of trouble by advising them of regulations and procedures at the USPTO. I see many non-compliant response/amendment notices returned to my firm by the PTO, but never on my watch. I'm skilled.

Whewell's post is full of writing errors. Patent application prepration is an undertaking in writing. All who attack the skills of others should check their own skills first.

It's true I have taken my share of shots at people on these pages ... but when I do ... I do it with intent. I agree Whewell probably didn't intend to slam patent agents. That's his arrogance. And yeah, I noticed he was a fat happy Uncle Tom patent agent before I posted my rant. That knowledge helped motivate my attack. If Chris Whewell doesn't want to be called arrogant and condescending by name, then he should clean up his act or post anonymously ... like I do!
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #38 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 8:34pm »

on Oct 27th, 2006, 7:30pm, Patent Agent for Real wrote:
That's easy to interpret as a condemnation of patent agents. I consider myself both highly skilled and versatile.

That could be what he meant, but since he's an agent, it seemed to me more likely that he was referring to things other than patent prosecution that require a law license.

Quote:
All who attack the skills of others should check their own skills first.

It is my experience that most grammar flames contain spelling and/or grammatical errors. We're all working without a net (spell checker) here.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2006, 8:35pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
David
« Reply #39 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

STOP THE INSANITY!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »