The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:52am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10129 times)
florida

Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a 3L right now with patent registration.  If I could find a job as an agent starting at $50k or higher, I would drop out of law school, or at least take a lengthy break.
IP Logged
Ian
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 7:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is it really that bad?  I am a 1L and I left a job paying 80k to go to law school.  I didn't like being an engineer because your basicly just a "grunt".  I figured I was near the top of the scale engineering wise and going to law school 80k would be near the bottom.  Does the fact that I have 6 years experience as a Sr. Software Engineer differentiate myself from say someone coming out of law school with no experience?
IP Logged
Patent Agent for Real
« Reply #32 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dear Chris Whewell of Georgetown, Texas,
You're arrogant and you don't know how to write.
Before others come here and condescend on agents, they might consider our propensity for winding up in positions managing in-house patent application portfolios and the power that entails toward choosing outside counsel. I am one agent that remembers names and condescending attitudes. I'm like an elephant that way. They might also consider posting anonymously, as I do, when acting like a schmuck. Your attitudes toward agents contribute to the plights of firm agents. Lawyers are only more versatile than agents in law firm environments. But the sun neither rises nor sets in such limited environments. If you're bored with patent application preparation and prosecution, then please get out of my field. Hopefully you won't hang around and try to micro-manage those that find it challenging and resolve to make a career of acquiring quality patent rights for clients. Regarding companies seeking lawyers and agents, perhaps you shouldn't speak for why more ads may call for lawyers unless you've done some surveys and have statistical merit behind your arrogant condescending presumptions. Typical lawyers can't run a circle around me in patent application writing. I doubt typical lawyers have any more capacity to grow and adapt than do I. But you go right ahead posting schmuck messages with your name, Chris Whewell of Georgetown, Texas.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #33 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 2:02pm »

How odd.  

I went back to read Mr. Whewell's post and it gave me the impression that he is a patent attorney.

Turns out he is not. He is a patent agent.

I won't post the links that led me to this conclusion. One who knows their way around the patent office website can easily verify this themselves.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #34 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 2:19pm »

on Oct 27th, 2006, 2:02pm, Jonathan wrote:

How odd.  

I went back to read Mr. Whewell's post and it gave me the impression that he is a patent attorney.

Turns out he is not. He is a patent agent.

I didn't get the impression that he was an agent.    I also didn't get the impression that his intent was to slam agents.   About the only part of his post that seemed to read that way was his suggestion that good agents were relatively rare.   It is true that agents are actually relatively rare compared to patent attorneys so maybe that softens his remarks a little.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »