The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 2:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
  
  
Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10122 times)
Anon
Newbie
*




   


Posts: 12
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #15 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 5:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 6th, 2006, 9:27pm, Markush wrote:
If I'm going to be doing essentially the same exact thing as a patent attorney, I might as well get paid for it NOW!

Law school isn't for everyone.  And if you quit, you wouldn't be the first.  
 
But as for your contention that, as an agent, you'll be doing "essentially the same exact thing as a patent attorney," I'm afraid that you're pretty far off base.  If you want to work as an agent in a law firm, your work will be limited to the work that your attorney counterparts can't do efficiently at their higher billing rates.  Maybe you'll enjoy such work.  But most don't.
 
As for whether your career would be limited if working in-house, I'll leave that topic for others.
IP Logged
Markush
Guest
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #16 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 7th, 2006, 5:03am, Anon wrote:

Law school isn't for everyone.  And if you quit, you wouldn't be the first.  
 
But as for your contention that, as an agent, you'll be doing "essentially the same exact thing as a patent attorney," I'm afraid that you're pretty far off base.  If you want to work as an agent in a law firm, your work will be limited to the work that your attorney counterparts can't do efficiently at their higher billing rates.  
 
As for whether your career would be limited if working in-house, I'll leave that topic for others.

 
 
Really? You mean that all that question and answer stuff with the patent bar will be that limiting?  Shocked
 
For some reason, I don't think so. I don't discern ANY difference that a patent agent v. a patent atty will do will do when it comes to writing patents. A practitioner is a practitioner. If the client wants to drag the issue into court, then that's a different story but you claim I'm far off base. I think I'm not far off the mark. Besides, if all I had to do is patents and nothing else, I'm a happy camper. I'm pretty sure the customer will be all the more happy at billable hours being lower for a patent agent if that's all that's required.  
 
But then again, you're missing the big picture. You assume that I'll be unhappy by the your words "Maybe you'll enjoy such work.  But most don't." Please don't make group me into that category.  
 
If you want to be remembered for what you did in your career as what people think of you in this world by the time you die, that's your business. Remember, I have things in life I'd like to do and quite frankly, I found the mechanism to do it. Once my bills have been paid and I have enough of a trove to use elsewhere, then I'm moving on to something better. I don't want to be held down at the behest of some firm working weekends slaving at the threat losing a job because I won't be able to make payments on a lifestyle that might put me into debt.  
 
Hey, good luck if you want to make IP your life long goal working to be some partner as some firm! It's certainly not mine. It's a means to an end and I have no illusions otherwise. Cheerio! M.
IP Logged
patento
Full Member
***




   


Posts: 132
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #17 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 6:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. you can't make much money  as a patent agent.  
2. your career will not advance unless you are an attorney (IP area is much wider than patent prosecution,  as a patent agent, you will stuck with the prosecution foreever )
3. Lot harder to find work unless you are an attorney.
 
Don't do it man.  You will regret later.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2006, 6:54pm by patento » IP Logged
Anon
Newbie
*




   


Posts: 12
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #18 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 8th, 2006, 3:12pm, Markush wrote:
Really? You mean that all that question and answer stuff with the patent bar will be that limiting?  Shocked

Yes, that's what I mean.
 
on Oct 8th, 2006, 3:12pm, Markush wrote:

If you want to be remembered for what you did in your career as what people think of you in this world by the time you die, that's your business. Remember, I have things in life I'd like to do and quite frankly, I found the mechanism to do it. Once my bills have been paid and I have enough of a trove to use elsewhere, then I'm moving on to something better. I don't want to be held down at the behest of some firm working weekends slaving at the threat losing a job because I won't be able to make payments on a lifestyle that might put me into debt.

Mr. Markush, you have thoroughly convinced me.  I now agree that you should quit law school.  And in fact, I suggest that you quit today.
 
on Oct 8th, 2006, 3:12pm, Markush wrote:
Cheerio!

Right back at you with a big bowl of Fruitloops
IP Logged
Markush
Guest
Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 12:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Done and done!
 
Went to the registrar today and got out of my classes. She looked at me somewhat surprised. I winked and said "thanks but no more for me."  
 
Incidentally, I did get a job in San Diego as a patent agent! Call me what you will. I really don't give a rip. But I do want to wish you all a happy and healthy life. Cheerio (from a fully employed fruit loop)! Ha hah! M.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2!
Forum software copyright © 2000-2004 Yet another Bulletin Board