The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10130 times)
LF

Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #10 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Markush:

So, did you pass?
IP Logged
Markush
« Reply #11 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:13pm, LF wrote:
Markush:

So, did you pass?

Yep! Looking thru the want ads now. Good luck to you all. P.S. I won't comment about the 30 unit situation. Hey, I'm on AP but now that I got my USPTO ticket, who the heck cares? Ha ha!
IP Logged
LF

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 4:25am »

Congrats! Grin
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #13 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 4:56am »

on Oct 5th, 2006, 8:07pm, Markush wrote:

Yep! Looking thru the want ads now. Good luck to you all. P.S. I won't comment about the 30 unit situation. Hey, I'm on AP but now that I got my USPTO ticket, who the heck cares? Ha ha!

So are you quitting law school?
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Markush
« Reply #14 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 6th, 2006, 4:56am, biopico wrote:

So are you quitting law school?

Of course!!! Why would I want to spend needless extra thousands of dollars on law school when I can be making money now with my new-found patent license? Roll Eyes

I'm pretty sure that within 2 years I should be making around $100g's give or take. Remember that I can make just as much as my counterpart patent associate attorney. I have no expenses (save for the law school debt that I incurred). That will be quickly paid off.  

I live a fairly modest lifestyle and have no family or children to take care of. I'll search for a modestly priced house, pay that off, get my toys (like this 427 Kirkham Cobra I've been eyeing), hang on to my 99 Honda Civic as my grocery getter, and do some other investments. I figure in 3 years I'll be debt free and in 7 to 10 years, amass a small fortune to the point that I can take or leave my patent agent job as I please. Smiley

Why should I continue to go to law school? A previous poster says, that one should have the "stones" to do both?  

Nawwww....I think it's a no brainer. Take the money and run!  

If I'm going to be doing essentially the same exact thing as a patent attorney, I might as well get paid for it NOW!  

Think about it! It costs more than 50 times the amount of money to get into IP law by going to law school instead of forking over a simple $2000 or so for a Kayton's PRG course, paying the fees to the PTO/Prometrics, and passing the exam and going to work. Shocked

I know I'll have many disagreements with others but quite frankly, we all have our opinions. With all due respect to my soon to be ex fellow law school students, you'll still be studying, burning daylight and midnight candles, IRAC-ing and being scared about getting called on in class to brief a case, looking at your books, doing your outlines, preparing for your finals and trying to pass some state bar (and still sucking on that every growing student loan debt). Sad

I'll be deep into learning how to execute provisional, utility, design, and PCT applications for clients, answering office actions, dealing with clients and making fairly good money at the same time. Smiley

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Good luck and good night. M.  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »