The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:42am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...  10 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If I pass, I'm quitting law school  (Read 10127 times)
markushgroup

If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« on: Jul 24th, 2006, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

All:
Just wanted to know your opinion on this. After reading the salary ranges and differences between becoming a patent agent and patent attorney, I'm about a "hair pull trigger away" from saying "up yours" to my law school if I pass the patent bar (kind of a variation to Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It" song back in the 80's).  

One, I'm not willing to shell out an additional $60 or so grand on what I see is relatively little difference between an agent and an attorney.  

Two, I'm in one of the nation's worst law schools (a near bottom of the barrel scraping). They treat their students likewise and generally, I'm not comfortable in this mediocre environment. I'll give you a hint: it's the nation's biggest law school.  

I've already completed 30 credit hours at this place.  

Going back to the subject, I know I won't be able to own or become a partner in a law firm if I became a pat agent. Big deal.  

But, being the careful type that I am, I'm looking for input/advice from the rest of the group before I hope into any major decisions.  

Finally, this list serv has given me plenty of information and advice and I'm grateful for it.

Best regards
M
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: If I pass, I'm quitting law school
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 24th, 2006, 9:28am, markushgroup wrote:
All:
Just wanted to know your opinion on this. After reading the salary ranges and differences between becoming a patent agent and patent attorney, I'm about a "hair pull trigger away" from saying "up yours" to my law school if I pass the patent bar (kind of a variation to Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It" song back in the 80's).

One thing to note is that the discussion was about starting salaries.   Agent/attorney salaries 5 or more yrs down the road are probably going to be more widely disparate.

Agent and attorney jobs and opportunities are different in other important ways besides just the pay.  

Quote:
Two, I'm in one of the nation's worst law schools (a near bottom of the barrel scraping). They treat their students likewise and generally, I'm not comfortable in this mediocre environment. I'll give you a hint: it's the nation's biggest law school.

I suppose that you've given enough info to figure out what school you attend.   I found a number of law schools that claim to be among the largest, but they vary widely in quality and reputation.   Please don't name the school just to satisfy my curiousity.

You know your situation better than anyone else.
IP Logged

Isaac
bsee
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hello all,  

im a patent agent who's considering to attend a law school.
 i wanna be a partner someday... but im afraid of failing lsat and law school. just heard alot of sh**z how hard it is to survive...

what should i do ?

is it even worth going to a low-ranked law school ??

thanks in advance...

IP Logged
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 10:20am »

Hi:
Your best bet would be to take a LSAT prep course such as Kaplan or Testmasters (no, I have no affiliation) and study the heck out of these courses and get the absolute best possible score that you can. If you have to, spend a year doing this. Going to law school is an expensive proposition and unlike the lower tier law schools, the higher tiered ones don't have a tendency to eject you out.

JMHO. I made this mistake and I'm now finding our the hard way.  

IP Logged
xfer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:20am »

you seem bitter about cooley.....i went there and transferred out.  if that's an option...do it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...  10 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »