The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 29th, 2023, 12:19am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PRG vs. PLI
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PRG vs. PLI  (Read 877 times)
Eggbert

PRG vs. PLI
« on: Jun 5th, 2006, 10:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am trying to decide which course to buy.  I have heard good things about PRG and PLI but wondered what fourm members had to say about these courses (before I drop $2,600).  Also, how do the "live" and "home study" courses compare?

Thanks much
IP Logged
BTP

Re: PRG vs. PLI
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5th, 2006, 10:53am »

Would recommend a live course if it's at all possible to spare the travel and hotel expense.  Having a week free of distractions was very valuable to me.

I am an unapologetic PRG supporter.  I think PLI has some good advanced patent law programs, but their criticism of PRG on the grounds that they teach too much patent law is utter bull.  Studying the MPEP outside the context of the patent laws is a dry, boring, and pointless exercise.  PRG not only helped me pass the exam, but it helped me start my practice.
IP Logged
guest47
« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I can't imagine digesting all of the information that comes at you in one of the courses in just a week's time.  I used PLI and frequently paused or replayed portions of the video so that I could get a better understanding of a concept or take additional notes in the margins of my study guide.  I recommend using a home study course, especially if you live a distance away from where live courses are offered.

The PRG/PLI debate could go on forever, but I chose PLI because all it did was prepare me for passing the exam.  I did not have the time nor the desire to spend excess amounts of each day studying concepts that I would learn better once I was practicing with a firm.

I find basing a practice solely off of information learned in a course to be mildly terrifying.  You need to work with experienced people first regardless of what course you take.

Just my opinion.
IP Logged
BTP

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 6:05pm »

on Jun 6th, 2006, 1:51pm, guest47 wrote:
I find basing a practice solely off of information learned in a course to be mildly terrifying.  You need to work with experienced people first regardless of what course you take.

While I would agree, I would point out that information learned in a course and working with experienced people are not mutually exclusive.  Indeed, I'm fortunate to do the latter, as we all are.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »