The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?  (Read 3499 times)
nittanylion302
Re: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 7:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"Univ of Southern California offers a PharmD/JD degree in 6 years, which would give you better credential. "

any particular reasons why a PharmD would be better?
IP Logged
« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 8:26am »

I may be wrong, but I think he meant that the PharmD would give you better credentials than the MS.  I can see how this might be true based on what I said in a previous post--an MS in pharmaceutical sciences doesn't get you very far these days.  It is true that if you didn't do law, the PharmD would still qualify you for another good paying, respected career.  

However, I don't know how much a PharmD would help you understand the complexities of the science.  I've taught some PharmD lab classes and I must admit I was suprised how little hard science they really knew (or were expected to know)--most couldn't even draw the chemical structure of aspirin.

I haven't looked at the USC website, but my guess is that this program is intended more for those interested in things like pharmacoeconomics, pharmaceutical systems policy, etc. rather than intellectual property.

I'm sure they're some out there, but FWIW on all the firm websites I've looked through I've never seen anyone listed in the IP department with PharmD/JD credentials.
IP Logged
nittanylion302
« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 8:37am »

"an MS in pharmaceutical sciences doesn't get you very far these days."

Even so, looking on the "recent graduates" page, a recent MS student is now an associate at Schiff Hardin
IP Logged
« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 11:07am »

I'm sorry.  I meant that there are not many jobs in the pharmaceutical industry that you can do with an MS.  I said in a previous post that most people entering the pharmacy research world are either techs (BS/BA) or prinicpal/senior investigators (PhD).  Of course, there are exceptions to this maxim as well--most often in the form of lab managers with an MS.  

I have no opinion what-so-ever on the job opportunities in law for someone with an MS in pharmaceuctical sciences.  Remember, the only reason I brought up the MS vs PhD question to begin with was in case you didn't end up in law after all.
IP Logged
nittanylion302
« Reply #9 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 11:54am »

oh sorry, I didn't know you were the same guest as before
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »