The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 6:45am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?  (Read 3498 times)
TripleJ
Re: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Reply #10 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 12:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you for reminding me of the confusion of using guest as a name.  From now on, I'll use TripleJ.

And FWIW, after I wrote the last post I found a PharmD/JD dual program at Maryland also, but the description listed practice areas such as health care law and science policy; it never mentioned--from what I saw--anything about intellectual property.  This leads me to believe that maybe a PharmD/JD wouldn't be the best/easiest route to becoming an IP lawyer.  But that's just my opinion.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #11 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 8th, 2006, 12:07pm, TripleJ wrote:
Thank you for reminding me of the confusion of using guest as a name.  From now on, I'll use TripleJ.

And FWIW, after I wrote the last post I found a PharmD/JD dual program at Maryland also, but the description listed practice areas such as health care law and science policy; it never mentioned--from what I saw--anything about intellectual property.  This leads me to believe that maybe a PharmD/JD wouldn't be the best/easiest route to becoming an IP lawyer.  But that's just my opinion.

You don't need to go to an "IP School" to be an IP lawyer or even a patent lawyer.  If the school of your choice offers IP course, by all means take them, but don't select a school on the basis of how many IP courses are offered.  

IP Logged

Isaac
TripleJ
« Reply #12 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 1:30pm »

The description I gave is not about the Unviersity of Maryland's School of Law in general.  Rather, it is a description of the PharmD/JD dual program given on the dual program's website.

The point that I was trying to make was that if the school offering the PharmD/JD dual program doesn't even consider IP to be a reason to enter the dual program, then it's not very likely that a PharmD/JD is a good way to get into--or a good way to prepare for--intellectual property law.

I wasn't trying to say that University of Maryland isn't an "IP school" so someone interested in doing IP shouldn't go there.  I guess what I was saying was that someone interested in doing IP who wants to go into a dual degree program as a way to earn an advanced degree in science might consider an MS/JD or PhD/JD program over a PharmD/JD program.  I hope that is a little clearer.  Smiley
IP Logged
nittanylion302
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 6:38pm »

seems like Illinois (UIUC) has something similar

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/chem/gradprogram/jtprog.html
IP Logged
nittanylion302
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:54am »

Texas Tech and Case Western also have similar programs

http://www.law.ttu.edu/lawWeb/centersprograms/jointdegreeprograms/lifesc iences/JDBio.shtm

looks like case's program is brand new
http://law.case.edu/spotlight_detail.asp?id=41
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »