The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 8:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?  (Read 3502 times)
nittanylion302
UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« on: May 28th, 2006, 9:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

anyone have experience with this program or ones like it?

It seems specifically to deal with drug development.

http://www.jointdegree.umn.edu/degree_programs/dp.php?c=drugdev&d=ms _pharm&s=curriculum
IP Logged
Re: UMN's combined JD/MS in Pharmacology?
« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2006, 9:57am »

When I was looking at grad schools, I also looked into the dual degree program (JD/PhD-Pharmacology) at Minnesota.  Ultimately, I didn't apply there b/c I just can't handle the weather--I'm a warm body.  But, I did end up doing my PhD at a school which had a drug metabolism professor move to Minnesota the year before I got there.  Consequently, our labs do a significant amount of collaboration.  From what I know of it, their graduate pharm. programs are pretty good and their law school is good as well.  Sometimes, I wonder if maybe I shouldn't have applied there just so I would have had law school paid for. Instead, I have to try to find a law firm to pay for it while I work as a patent agent or move to DC and work for the USPTO once I finish my PhD.  

On a separate note, if you do decide to go the JD/MS route instead of the JD/PhD route, be sure that you will end up in law and not in science because I don't think there are a lot of opportunities these days for someone with just a masters in pharm--everyone is either a lab tech (bachelors degree) or a principal investigator (PhD).  Many schools, including mine, don't even offer an MS anymore.

Good Luck!
IP Logged
nittanylion302
« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2006, 11:09am »

Thanks, that was very interesting. The reason i'm more looking into the MS is because I'm not really sure I want to spend another 7 years in school. I'd like to get out into the real world.

Could you point me to some of the other programs like Minnesota's?  

Thanks
IP Logged
« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2006, 4:54pm »

I didn't find any others.  Maybe I missed some (I didn't look at schools over the entire US) or maybe some new ones have popped up in the three years since I was looking.  Most dual programs don't tie in with hard science--they're usually MBAs, Philosophy, Economics, MPHs, etc.  It's unfortunate.  

Maybe somebody else knows of other programs.  You could probably get in touch with the folks at Minnesota and ask them about similar programs in the country.  If anybody would know, you'd think it would be them.

Good Luck!
IP Logged
Rphjd
« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 8:59pm »

Univ of Southern California offers a PharmD/JD degree in 6 years, which would give you better credential.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »