The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 27th, 2022, 11:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   should I even bother going to law school!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: should I even bother going to law school!!  (Read 2061 times)
florida

Re: should I even bother going to law school!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24th, 2006, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don't worry about schools with "IP reputations," other than Franklin Pierce.  Check to make sure they have IP classes, and then just focus on going to the best school you can.  Thats my advice.
IP Logged
IPW

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2006, 3:58pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 1:53pm, PTOPTO wrote:
Could you guys recommend a few LS in DC area strong on IP laws?

Thanks

George Washington is widely considered the top IP school in the country aside from maybe Berkeley and/or Stanford.  

It ranked 3rd in the most recent USN&WR in IP, FWIW.
IP Logged
Lumpy
« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2006, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is a school in the bay area that has an incredible IP program, I think it is Santa Clara University.   It is in the top 100, close to getting moved out, but it has heavy weights like Donald Chisum on board.   I also think it has more IP courses than any other university.   The school also has incredible connections with Intel, Sun, AMD and other semicondutor, software giants.
IP Logged
just_graduated
« Reply #8 on: May 25th, 2006, 5:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Getting a job coming out of LS that is better than the one you have right now isn't guaranteed.  I just graduated from a tier-2 school, and have a job at a big law firm, but that is rare.  I think that you really have to be passionate about practicing law to go to LS, because it may be tough to find a well paying job directly out of school.  Try to get into the best ranked school that you can (usnwr.com is a pretty good indicator), and you'll have a much better chance of finding a good job.
IP Logged
statolith

« Reply #9 on: May 25th, 2006, 5:58pm »

How about if I'm currently working for a corporation who'll pay for me to get a law degree part-time from a tier 4 school (the only school in the area offering a part-time program). If after graduation I could get a nice promotion within the company into their legal department, maybe it's worth it to get the degree?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »