The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:40am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent attorney w/o advanced degree
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent attorney w/o advanced degree  (Read 4096 times)
Re: Patent attorney w/o advanced degree
« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2006, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Could someone describe the difference in work between patent litigation vs. patent prosecution?  Thanks.
IP Logged
MR_double_e
« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2006, 8:25pm »

How's the job market as a patent agent with a EE BS degree?  (just passed the exam=no experience)

should i get a MS in EE or get a JD ?  

is it better work in a big law firm or a small law firm as a entry patent agent?  

any comments would be appriciated.

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2006, 6:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 1st, 2006, 6:41pm, guest wrote:
Could someone describe the difference in work between patent litigation vs. patent prosecution?  Thanks.

Patent prosecution involves representing clients before the patent office primarily for the purpose of obtaining  patents.

Patent litigation involves enforcing or defending against patents.   The activities are those involved with suing, defending law suits, and activities to prepare for and avoid or mitigate against law suits.   Litigators are not required to register with the patent office, and fairly often do not even have technical degrees.

IP Logged

Isaac
« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2006, 7:31am »

on May 2nd, 2006, 6:14am, Isaac wrote:

Patent prosecution involves representing clients before the patent office primarily for the purpose of obtaining  patents.

Patent litigation involves enforcing or defending against patents.   The activities are those involved with suing, defending law suits, and activities to prepare for and avoid or mitigate against law suits.   Litigators are not required to register with the patent office, and fairly often do not even have technical degrees.

I've got a B.S. in Bacteriology, will begin law school at a top 20 school in the fall, and will take the patent bar this summer before school.  Assuming I pass, and assuming I do very well in law school, any guesses to how easy/challenging finding a job in patent prosecution would be?  Or would I still most likely have to go the route of patent litigation because of only having a B.S?
IP Logged
« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2006, 7:32am »

on May 2nd, 2006, 6:14am, Isaac wrote:

Litigators are not required to register with the patent office, and fairly often do not even have technical degrees.

Does this mean litigators do not need to take the patent bar?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »