The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 27th, 2023, 11:58pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent attorney w/o advanced degree
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent attorney w/o advanced degree  (Read 4095 times)
Isaac

Re: Patent attorney w/o advanced degree
« Reply #10 on: May 2nd, 2006, 7:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"Does this mean litigators do not need to take the patent bar?"

There is no legal requirement for a litigator to take the patent bar.   That's not the same thing as saying that taking the patent bar would not be helpful in landing a job in at least some cases.   But studying for and passing the patent bar would be only minimally helpful in actually practicing litigation.
IP Logged

Isaac
gritz

Re: Patent attorney w/o advanced degree
« Reply #11 on: May 9th, 2006, 8:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not a requirement at all, but you will have to "make up" for the fact that you dont have an advanced degree in other areas. I have a BS and work for a top IP firm, but I worked at a pharma company for several years before law school. Stellar grades in law school help the most I believe. Keep in mind that while you are being hired in part for technical expertise ALL firms (and in house) want excellent LAWYERS...

As far as in house jobs there are plenty of biotech type firms that have internships (or the like). A lot of this is a "who you know" type situation though, networking is key.

That being said having a PTO reg number helps a ton as well.   It makes an employer more comfortable if they know that you are not completely green and are truly interested in the field
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »