The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2020, 6:58am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Bar Exam Qualifications
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Bar Exam Qualifications  (Read 1160 times)
ryan trevor
Patent Bar Exam Qualifications
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 5:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a degree that is ABET accredited from Penn State - Plastic Engineering Technology.  Does anyone think this would be able to qualify for a category A to sit in on the exam?  I know it is not on the list, but has anyone heard of them accepting other degrees depending on there techinical focus?

Also, if I'd have to qualify for a category B, I would have to do so through the 40 hours of:
- 8 hours in physics or 8 hours in chemistry
- 32 hours in engineering

Could I use a combination of chemistry and physics to get the 8 hours?  Also do engineering technology classes count as engineering classes?

I have a lot of classes that focus on the just plastics and the design of plastic parts and molds.  I am hoping someone can shed some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Patent Bar Exam Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 19th, 2006, 5:12pm, ryan trevor wrote:
I have a degree that is ABET accredited from Penn State - Plastic Engineering Technology.  Does anyone think this would be able to qualify for a category A to sit in on the exam?  I know it is not on the list, but has anyone heard of them accepting other degrees depending on there techinical focus?

No.  If your degree title is not on the list, category A is not available until the list is changed.

Quote:

Also, if I'd have to qualify for a category B, I would have to do so through the 40 hours of:
- 8 hours in physics or 8 hours in chemistry
- 32 hours in engineering

Could I use a combination of chemistry and physics to get the 8 hours?  Also do engineering technology classes count as engineering classes?

The general requirements course indicates that the chem/physics requirement is met by a sequence of courses.   I interpret that to mean that a physics/chemistry combination would not work.    

But you'll want to see if OED will give you an official answer.  I have no idea if your engineering technology classes will count as engineering credits.   OED will do a course by course review of your transcript and the course descriptions for each course.

IP Logged

Isaac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 8:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a question that maybe someone can answer, although it might be a stupid question. OK, I have a BA degree in Political Science and i would like to sit for the patent bar but obviously i have no science degree (BS).

I'm wondering if i can just take the coursework required under catagory B for, say, Physics (24 credits) and then sit for the bar without receiving a science degree at all. I don't see why i couldn't - the requirements say "Bachelors Degree In Another Subject" but it doesn't say that it has to be a BS, so a BA with coursework taken after the degree was awarded which meets the science requirements should work, right?

I would appreciate any replies. I'm working as a paralegal at an IP firm, like the work, and my law school application is all ready for the next cycle. How i wish that i had a science degree but its too late now, although i still have time to take extra science coursework before law school starts in 2007. I've taken calculus so i have the prereqs for physics.

Thanks!
IP Logged
SciGuy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 12:25am »

The degree listed and your degree don't have to be exact.
My degree:  BS, Cellular & Molecular Biology
Closest listed:  Molecular Biology
I got in via Category A
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:19am by SciGuy » IP Logged
prosdog

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:00am »

I've got a BA in History, but I had lots of Chemistry, Physics and Biology from my pre-med days.  I qualified under the 40 hours option.

The 8 hours of Physics or Chemistry have to be in 2 consecutive courses in the same subject, Physics or Chemistry.  I was told by the USPTO they prefer two 3 hour courses with a related 1 hour lab in each course.  

As for the degrees required, the majors on the list are not the only degrees they will accept.  The USPTO was willing to let me use a degree in Zoology, which isn't listed.   I would have needed 4 more courses to get the degree, so I went the 40 hour option.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »