The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 1:12am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   MS Success and Failures
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MS Success and Failures  (Read 623 times)
Brian
MS Success and Failures
« on: Apr 13th, 2006, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about to finish up my Master's in Medicinal Chemistry, and am interested in patent law.  I've searched through the forums, and noted that the general consensus is that you should have a PhD in order to find jobs in the IP field.  However, I haven't seen any input from any MS/JDs  in biotech/pharma.  Does anyone have any success/failure stories they could share about finding jobs as a patent attorney and the route they took to get there?

Thanks for an informative forum,
Brian
IP Logged
daven

Re: MS Success and Failures
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's something that might help.  Take a look at the law firms listed at this link:

http://www.infirmation.com/shared/search/payscale-compare.tcl?city=Washi ngton

You can browse through the list and click on the links to the law firm webpages.  From there, go to the attorney bio pages.  Most of them list attorney education, etc.

What I found interesting was the non-IP attorneys seemed to have attended more prestigious law schools, on average.  Many of the IP associates working at the same firms attended lesser known schools.  

The ironic part of it is many of the payscale data sheets say something like, "these figures are for IP attorneys.  Others may be at or below"..

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »