The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 27th, 2022, 12:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   UT Austin for patent law?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UT Austin for patent law?  (Read 2006 times)
L
Re: UT Austin for patent law?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a 2L at UT, so I'm biased.

UT has IP profs, but not patent profs.  Last year our patent courses were taught by practitioners.

However there are many patent students here.  The IP Law Journal is 60+ people, almost all patent law eligible.  Also we're interviewing an IP scholar from BU for our next dean.

If you're chemical, many chemical ppl go to Houston b/c of the oil companies.  If you're electrical, you probably would go to Dallas.  But neither of those places are as good as DC for a patent lawyer.

If you want to get an objective view of how UT and GW stack up, go look at the firms you want to work for, and look thru their associate ranks in their IP departments.  But it may be a little misleading since UT is a bit bigger...
IP Logged
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:18pm »

I believe that UT just hired a new patent prof who will be starting this fall.
IP Logged
IPW

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 2:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'll be a 1L at GW this fall.  

I've heard nothing but great things about the IP program. Ultimately though, the primary reason I'm choosing GW is the opportunity to live in DC, where you can work at the USPTO, find government internships, work as a patent agent, etc. If you are interested in going part-time and working at the USPTO as an examiner or at a firm as a patent agent, GW is the place to be.  

I plan to take the patent bar late summer/early fall and apply for work at the USPTO starting in the spring. That's something that is only available in DC. However, if you want to end up in Texas when you're done, I'd go with UT. While I've heard that GW is national for IP, I have to believe that UT would trump GW in the state of Texas.  

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2006, 2:21pm by IPW » IP Logged
Stephen Jones
« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2006, 11:19am »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 10:18pm, Guest wrote:
I believe that UT just hired a new patent prof who will be starting this fall.

Yes, Professor Vetter will be teaching a patent law class in the fall at UT with the following description:

"This course covers the substantive U.S. law of patents including eligible subject matter, utility, novelty and nonobviousness requirements, requirements of the patent specification, scope of claims, and modern infringement law."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »