The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Bar Exam: Eligibility for Comp Sci Bkgrnd
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Bar Exam: Eligibility for Comp Sci Bkgrnd  (Read 821 times)
jd78605w

Patent Bar Exam: Eligibility for Comp Sci Bkgrnd
« on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope some of you have an answer to this.  

I have a BS in Computer Applications and Information Technology (similar to BS in Computer Science; but from a foreign country). This is a three year program, which is the normal duration of an undergraduate degree in my country. In order to qualify for my Masters program (meet the four year US undergrad degree requirement), I took a one semester "Bridge" program, taking some liberal arts and programming courses (from the US). And then I completed an ABET accredited MS in Computer Science (again, in the US).
I have not taken any Physics, Chemistry or Biology courses in my undergrad as it is not offered as a part of the curriculum. However, I did have some advanced mathematics courses.

Also, I just sent in the application materials to the USPTO to qualify for taking the patent bar exam. Now, the General Requirements Bulletin, "Other Education" Section, states that:

"Other education (e.g., foreign education, academic credit for work experience, military education, life experience, etc.) is acceptable to the extent objective evidence demonstrates the education is equivalent to that received at an accredited U. S college or university in one of the subjects listed in Category A.  For example, such education may be met by one of the following showings:"

Paragraph "a" of the "other education" section states that:

"The specific courses have been accepted for college-level credit in a Category A subject by an accredited U.S. college or university because they would be creditable if the student were to further his or her education at that institution."

Paragraph "e" of the "other education" section states that:

"An accredited U.S. State college or university reports the degree from another institution as one whose transcript is given full value, and full value is given in a Category A subject applicable to the curricula at the U.S. State college or university."

What do you think will happen? I don't know if I should start studying or wait!!!  Huh  

Do apologize for the really long post. Your response is really appreciated.  Smiley
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Patent Bar Exam: Eligibility for Comp Sci Bkgr
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 10:05am »

I'm just guessing but I think their could be some issues with meeting the educational requirements based on your description.    Trying to convince OED that your degree is equivalent to a US computer science degree, (and frankly I'm sceptical based on the title) is your best shot.

If that does not work, your lack of physics and chemistry classes cannot be overcome without taking the required coursework.  An MS degree means nothing other than it would include course work that counts towards the requirements for Category B.  

The bulletin indicates that course directed to data management and information systems and mathematics courses do not count towards the requirements.
IP Logged

Isaac
jd78605w

Re: Patent Bar Exam: Eligibility for Comp Sci Bkgr
« Reply #2 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 10:25am »

If that is indeed the case, (I am hoping it is not) how do you explain the practical justification in taking an undergraduate chemistry or physics course at this point in my career. I am not sure of how that adds value to me being a better patent agent who is practicing in internet business methods and the software arts.

I do understand that you might not have an answer to this question, however, I just want to put this out there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »