The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:12am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   USPTO- June 12th Start
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USPTO- June 12th Start  (Read 2416 times)
Isaac

Re: USPTO- June 12th Start
« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 6:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:47pm, p@tent.guy wrote:

Off topic: Examining is a fantastic job, but the most critical thing you can do starting out - almost more so than understanding the nuances of 102/103's - is to read and understand, every single document in the classes/subclasses you will be searching (at least the claims). Know them better than anything you learned in school. Know what problems they are trying to solve and how they attack those problems. Learn to identify "breakthrough" inventions vs. patentable incremental improvements (it helps when reading claims in a new application).  

I was given this same advice, but I did not find it all that easy to follow.  In the art unit in which I worked (Computer Architecture) , the subclasses typically held 1500-3000 patents. The art units assigned area of technology included scores of subclasses, and that does not even include the related areas from other TCs that must also be searched.   The task you are describing is not going to be accomplished in even 8 months.  

If you are going to make examining a career, you do have to accomplish this task, and you also have to continually update your knowledge as more patents issue and more applications are published.
IP Logged

Isaac
patent.b

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 9:27am »

Hmmm . . . I have a May 30 start date and will be in the PTA.  However, my art unit will be in the 2100s so maybe different art units have staggered start dates?

As for housing, I looked at all the info and ratings I could find on the web and settled on The ****n for the first year, at least.  Convenience and high ratings trumped price for me.

Thanks for the postings about how us newbies can be more successful as examiners.  I'm curious to see what the effect of the 8-month training will be compared to previous experiences.  For example, how soon can new examiners start working overtime under this system?
IP Logged

B
soon.to.alexandria
« Reply #7 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 6:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hrmm.. maybe there are different start dates by unit classification or maybe they only want so many starting at once, and the May 30 was "full."  ...?  

I've seen the ****n (online) and the convenience would be awesome but damn, it is expensive.  I think it might be a good backup if I can't find something for a little less $$.  Hopefully they'll still have some availability if it comes down to that.  
IP Logged
hkcara129

Re: USPTO- sept 18 start
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 3:18pm »

Hi, I am going to start in the database area on Sept 18. I am looking for housing that is affordable.  i want an apartment has w/d in unit.  I am looking around $1200-$1400 for 2/2 apartment. Anyone has suggestioN? I don't have a car. so it has to be very close to public transportation.
IP Logged
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anyone know the dates of potential upcoming patent academy training sessions?  I know there is the June 12th start, what is the next one after that?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »