The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:38am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   USPTO- June 12th Start
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USPTO- June 12th Start  (Read 2417 times)
soon.to.alexandria
USPTO- June 12th Start
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 3:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm starting as an examiner on June 12.  Just wanted to post and see if anyone else out there will be starting at the same time?  And for those of you already there, maybe solicit some apartment recommendations?  

Thanks!
IP Logged
byte

Re: USPTO- June 12th Start
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This isn't on the topic, but did you request that start date, or was it the earliest option?  Which art group will you be in?
IP Logged
soon.to.alexandria
« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had stated in the interview that I would optimally prefer a mid to late May startdate.. then the offer came with June 12th on it.  I assume that is when a new "patent academy" startup is.  I don't recall the precise unit number.. 3600 something..

IP Logged
byte

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:26pm »

Yes, I think a training program begins in June, and then another in September.  As for housing, Alexandria and the surrounding areas are expensive.  If you can stand a longer drive, you may look into towns a little further away, though prices will still be high.  As an example of prices, I have a friend who's paying $650 a month for a small room in the basement of a house located in Silver Spring.  

Oh, and finding a place where you can avoid I-270S and I-495 as much as possible could only be a good thing.
IP Logged
p@tent.guy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:47pm »

Depending on your situation (salary) - the ****n at Carlyle may be the best (Cadillac) option.  

You are probably 2-3 blocks to work, you are right at the top of old town and the metro is maybe 3 blocks away.  

My wife and I both worked and we had a 1 bedroom on the 12th floor. It had views of the Washington monument, the national cathedral, and the masonic temple. I can't remember if I could see the capitol dome, and we couldn't see the water (though the club room on the 16th floor has a beautiful lookout onto the Potomac).  

The place is like a hotel. Expensive. But if possible, absolutely worth it for the quality of life.  

Our first apartment was far less expensive (~$1200/mo) - but the commute was more difficult. The Alexander House in Silver Spring MD is beautiful, safe, with great parks nearby and walking distance to a metro.  The residents are typically young government employee's and disabled veterans. Great place to start out, but the 45 min each way commute got old after a year.  

There are loads of other good places to live - the Kennedy Warren is right by the Zoo, and walking distance to the red line metro. Absolutely stunning building and lots of young grad-students/law-student residents at the happy hour in their in house club/lounge. Very cool place.  

To me the best places are walking distance (or free shuttle distance) to a metro in NW DC or otherwise right by the PTO.  

Off topic: Examining is a fantastic job, but the most critical thing you can do starting out - almost more so than understanding the nuances of 102/103's - is to read and understand, every single document in the classes/subclasses you will be searching (at least the claims). Know them better than anything you learned in school. Know what problems they are trying to solve and how they attack those problems. Learn to identify "breakthrough" inventions vs. patentable incremental improvements (it helps when reading claims in a new application).  

Also - the difference between making production and not making production is often governed by an examiners understanding and implementation of  restriction practice. You do not have time (or in some cases the expertise) to search and examine multiple (especially unrelated) inventions. Really imbibing the restriction training results in each invention receiving more time and you having more time to examine  

Good luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »