The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Getting that initial Patent experience - Survey
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Getting that initial Patent experience - Survey  (Read 764 times)
rolando_g

Getting that initial Patent experience - Survey
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After using my "offline" minutes to surf the web and search for patent agent positions...I came across one familiar requirement: 1-3 years experience preparing or drafting patent applications and/or art.  Now, for someone who decides to pursue a position like this with adequate engineering experience (academia/industry) but has 0 years experience with patent drafting...how can this individual have a leg up on getting an interview or being noticed??  I would assume that law firms are filtering based on prior experience so how can a transitioning engineer get this experience??  What are the necessary steps to get noticed??  I assume not every engineer gets a chance to work in the patent office or with IP mgmt at their respective firm/company.  How did the "current" patent agents of this forum get their start w/o prior hands-on experience??

Let's get a survey from active PAs to chat about their first steps in the patent business.
IP Logged
byte

Re: Getting that initial Patent experience - Surve
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 2:08pm »

Good question, and I'm anxious to hear the answers.  I can clearly understand why firms want at least a year of previous patent experience, but it makes finding the first job difficult.
IP Logged
patento

Re: Getting that initial Patent experience - Surve
« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 3:38pm »

Keep looking. Target tiny/small firms. They will not pay you much initially, but the chances are great that they will hire you even if you have no experience in prosecution but have good experience in engineering.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »