The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 10:23pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?  (Read 5020 times)
byte

Re: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You've mentioned reviewing some issued patents, but is that the basis on which you don't think you'd enjoy drafting patents?  Have you found out what is required in the different sections of a patent, the peculiar and fascinating way in which claims need to be structured to be allowable, anything of the process involved in prosecution, etc?  Until you get a basic grasp on the prosecution process, I'd think it would be very hard to decide whether it's something you'll enjoy.  As a result of talking to some agents, I am pursuing patent law because of the logic, writing and argumentation involved.

I laughed a little when you mentioned an MBA allowing more creative activities.  Maybe.  From what I've seen, though -- and I'm in a very similar situation to your's except I am an electrical engineer -- MBAs in engineering are simply the ones piping the overzealous and often unrealistic schedules that no one can keep, and the ones looking at Microsoft Project and wondering why today's date isn't matching up with the date on the end of that blue bar in the Gantt chart.  Granted, I'm sure there are plenty of other options.  But I don't think it would be as intellectually stimulating, and yes, that's just my opinion based on my preferences.

My suggestion, though I am hardly one in a position to offer one, is to consider studying for and taking the patent registration exam.  This will allow you to a) Gain familiarity with patent prosecution as it concerns questions on the exam, and b) Upon passing the exam, work as a patent agent (if you can find a job) and find out if you like it _before_ investing the considerable time and daunting money required to obtain a JD.
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:38am »

Thanks byte for your reply.

You are correct - Just by reviewing issued patents is the basis to which I am determining whether I would enjoy drafting patents.  I know the best way is obviously practicing, however, I am trying to get a feel without having to leave my engineering job.  I have taken a class on IP and I did enjoy it (but then again, this was an just overview of patents, trademarks, and copyrights - not drafting patents).    

As for the MBA, I do not want to manage engineering with it.  I would definitely leave engineering for the sales/marketing/finance side of things (whether at an engineering company or a marketing/finance firm).  This is why I felt it involved more innovative activities....  

IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:57am »

Just to add on a little more......

I feel that if I pursue becoming an IP attorney, much time will be needed to practice, thereby, giving no time for investment opportunities, such as realestate, opening a business (i.e. restaurant), spending time to invest in the stock market.  Is this true?

These are some of the things that I would like to do in the near future and I feel that it can be done much easier if I pursue the MBA route (i.e I would have MORE time).  Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
IP Logged
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds like an MBA is overkill for what you want to do, and has its own opportunity costs which might outweigh the benefits.

FWIW, I have an MBA, work at the USPTO, and am planning on starting law school in fall of '07.  
IP Logged
Jimmy
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 8:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Drew, I'm in the *exact* same position as you it's almost scary.  The only thing different is that I graduated last year with a BSEE instead of a BSME.  Otherwise, our situations/thoughts are almost identical.  I keep going back and forth between MBA and JD.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »