The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?  (Read 5027 times)
bjr
Re: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a BSME, MBA, and I attend law school by night and work as a Patent Agent by day.  I had many of the same feelings as you at one time or another.  

After I graduated with an MBA from an unranked school, I found it very hard to land an interview for a high-level finance position (e.g. venture cap or IB).  My mechanical engineering experience was absolutely worthless in that realm.  But, marketing and sales may be a different story.    

Patent law always sounded like an interesting career to me.  I like to write, as opposed to love, and I love to analyze.   Keep in mind that drafting a patent app isn't all about writing.  In fact, IMO drafting claims, for example, is 95% analysis/strategy and 5% writing.  My love of new technology and analysis keeps me fascinated in this field.  

I suggest that you search for a marketing or sales position with a technical company before investing in either an MBA or JD.
IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 6:15pm »

For bjr,

Do you think having an MBA as well as a law degree will help in your future career as a patent attorney?
IP Logged
bjr
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:00am »

I don't think that the MBA will have a direct impact on my law career.  

However, the MBA has its merits, e.g. if I ever manage a business or law firm I will be more familiar with the financial side, then I would have been sans MBA.  

The MBA was gratis and at that time in my life I wanted to stay intellectually active after my day job ended at 5pm.
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks everyone for your replies!

That's intersting Kim_MSME that you are in Michigan.  I too am in MI and currently work in the auto industry, however, I am with a Japanese company and luckily we are doing quite well.

That advice (bjr) is one I've heard often.  I can try to move into consulting or sales/marketing and try it for a year.  It would probably be the best move.  That way if I dont like it, more power to law school.  However, I am in a good position now (financially and experience related), so it would have to be worth it.

I thought about the JD/MBA, however, having an engineering, business, and law degree might not be the best thing.  How does the saying go?  "Jack of All Trades, Master at Nothing."  But I guess if you are doing IP this doesnt apply because you need the Eng degree...

I recently enrolled in a GMAT prep course (Company pays for it).  I'll see how I do.  If do not do well enough to get into a top 20 school, I don't think that the MBA will help me much.  I'm probably better off having those two years of work experience that I would lose by going go B-school.  Anyone disagree??

Anyways, I'll probably take the LSAT as well this fall.  I might as well take both tests until I make up my mind.  

Thanks
Drew
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 8:21pm by Drew83 » IP Logged
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:24pm »

I'd take both the practice LSAT and GMAT from one of the review course orginizastions (Kaplan, Princeton,etc.).  They'll let you do it for free (or at least they used to). Then based on whichever one you score higher in (compared to the other applicants) take the review course for that one, and then the actual test.

For all practical purposes, whether you get an MBA or JD isn't going to matter that much.  What will matter is the quality of the school you get into.  You'll have no idea whether or not you'll like the job you think you want until you've worked for a few years.  What career planning, recruters, and the career books tell you about a career has no real bearing on whether or not you'll like the career.   The only way to tell is to work for a while.  If you have a degree from a top 30 or so law school or top buisness school, it'll make it a lot easier to change careers and will open up more options for you.

That being said, if the scores are close, look at what the enrollment situation is like.  If everybody is enrolling in buisness school, go to law school, and vice versa.  It makes it a lot easier to find jobs if you're in a market where the supply is lower than demand.

One other thing, don't believe all this garbage you here about how hard you're going to have to work.  It's easy enough to find a job that has reasonable hours.  The problem is nobody wants to do it.  I think it must be something about the psychology of people who get JDs and MBAs.  Lots of type A personalities.  Whatever, good for them, let 'em compete for the 80 hour work weeks.  I'm out of the office at 5:30.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »