The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 6:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?  (Read 5026 times)
Drew83

2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« on: Mar 28th, 2006, 2:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Greetings All,

I am seeking advice for whether IP is for me.  I enjoy engineering (i.e. the concepts, theories, equations, etc...), but after working for about a year (I graduated with a BSME last year), I am quickly realizing that I don't want to pursue engineering as my career.

My two paths are either MBA or JD (JD - with the intent on pursuing IP).  Obviously, with the MBA I would change careers to finance, marketing, or sales.  

It seems to me that Law in general is more documentation, whereas types of jobs with an MBA involve more innovative/creative activities.  One deterrent about getting an MBA is that is has become saturated - everyone is getting one or has one.  On the other hand, with law, I would have an engineering degree combined with a law degree, which I believe would definitley make me more marketable in other fields in case I find out practicing IP law isnt for me.  Any truth to this?

In regards to getting an MBA, it seems that there are a multitude of career options that you can choose from.  I understand that this also applies to law school, however, hypothetically lets say that you practice IP for 4-5 years and realize that this isnt for you.....what other career options do you have (excluding in-house careers)?  

I do like writing, however, I dont love writing.  Will this be a problem?  I do enjoy reading.  I've reviewed some published patents, and the writing involved seems pretty monotonous - I'm not sure if I want to be drafting patents.  I guess what I like most about IP is the general concept of it.  The whole idea that IP can either make or break a company.  It is the largest asset that many companies have and it needs to be protected.    

I think that I would like everything about IP, except actually drafting patents.  I know that I can target litigation, but, to be honest the long hours of a litigator are not very appealing to me.  Is this going to be a problem?

Maybe I should target the MBA....?  Any thoughts?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: 2 paths - IP (Law) or MBA?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 2:45pm »

There are a number of programs offering a four year JD/MBA degree.  Perhaps you don't have to chose yet Smiley
IP Logged

Isaac
SciGuy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 3:31pm »

The JD might give you more options down the road.  It is easier to do business with a law degree then it is to do law with a business degree.  In the biotech world some say that the best CEOs have a science background and expertise in tax and labor law.
IP Logged
jd78605w

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 7:00pm »

Unless you want to be a Lawyer, DO NOT get a law degree. Rather choose MBA.
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 9:00pm »

Thanks for your replies!

So from an attorney's perspective, if I do not think that I would enjoy drafting patents (as mentioned above, I think it is very tedious), would you still recommend pursuing IP law?

I do like the fact that IP deals with new technolgy, thereby, you are learning many new types of ideas/concepts, but how fun can drafting patents get?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006, 10:00pm by Drew83 » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »