The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 27th, 2022, 11:56am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Flagged for moral character...how long for decisio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Flagged for moral character...how long for decisio  (Read 5785 times)
dbostan

Re: Flagged for moral character...how long for dec
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 11:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Which is that company?
We need to know.
IP Logged
Wolfcastle
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

As much as I hate to cast doubt on the Fable; If I were a maker of a patent bar review course and I wanted to increase sales, a post like fable's might be an effective way to get a few people to buy new instead of used materials.  

In a quick check of  

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/foia/oed/oed.htm

I didn't find a similiar instance of moral character being questioned for such a reason.
IP Logged
patento

« Reply #17 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 7:22pm »

I thought the same when he failed to answer my question as to how his indentity was revealed. He did not provide any details (how, when, who....)

Besides, copyright infrigement (alleged) is not a 'crime of moral turpitude', USPTO would not get involved in this.

Looks like one of the bar material publisher trying to scare people off. Its bogus.  

on Apr 13th, 2006, 4:51pm, Wolfcastle wrote:
As much as I hate to cast doubt on the Fable; If I were a maker of a patent bar review course and I wanted to increase sales, a post like fable's might be an effective way to get a few people to buy new instead of used materials.  

In a quick check of  

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/foia/oed/oed.htm

I didn't find a similiar instance of moral character being questioned for such a reason.

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2006, 9:38am by patento » IP Logged
fable

« Reply #18 on: May 1st, 2006, 12:41pm »

Sigh, no, I'm not a course vendor trying to scare you guys.  I've been waiting for an OED decision, and until I get one, I'm not telling which vendor.  Hell, I'd love to tell you which vendor just to convince you to by the materials USED and screw them out of money, so trying to scare you into buying new is the last thing on my mind.  

The vendor saw the ebay ad and asked ebay to pull it under their VERO program, when he did that, he got my email address from ebay, which has my last name in it...my ebay ad  mentioned the day that I took the exam, and the vendor matched up the last name to the apprporate name off the list on the OED website, then faxed OED a nasty fax about me.  

Oh, and for the record, the FOIA moral decisions on the USPTO website are all decisions made on review after OED issued a final decision.  I have no OED decision yet, and hopefully will never be a FOIA example there!

From my experence so far, it appears that OED does take a dim view of breaching licenses that are not actually binding.  Obviously, more details will follow eventually.  
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #19 on: May 1st, 2006, 1:52pm »

on Apr 13th, 2006, 7:22pm, patento wrote:
I thought the same when he failed to answer my question as to how his indentity was revealed. He did not provide any details (how, when, who....)

Besides, copyright infrigement (alleged) is not a 'crime of moral turpitude', USPTO would not get involved in this.

The purported allegations included an accusation of lying about the recency of the materials being sold.   That at least raises a moral turpitude issues.

Besides that, moral turpitude is not the only issue.  Respect for the law is also a character and fitness issue.  That's the reason why there are questions about traffic offenses.   OED might find an indication of a lack of respect for intellectual property laws particularly troublesome.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »