The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   USPTO advancement with law degree? And more Qs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USPTO advancement with law degree? And more Qs  (Read 825 times)
lns
USPTO advancement with law degree? And more Qs
« on: Dec 27th, 2005, 6:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I browsed all pages of this forum but I couldn't find an answer.  Are there jobs/promotions that a USPTO patent examiner is eligible for (within the USPTO) by taking advantage of the paid-for law school?  Or does the USPTO provide this law school benefit purely to attract examiners and hope they end up staying with them?

Another thing I am curious about is the patent agent occupation.  Dedicated patent examiners seem to be able to "rise in the ranks" generally fast, and get paid for any overtime they put in.  Whereas, patent agents seem to start at a low salary (since so many people want purely experience I gather), may need to work more than 40 hours a week, and may have problems getting a job/mentor.  Is there a specific reason why a patent examiner would want to pass the patent bar exam to be a patent agent? Is job satisfaction generally higher as a patent agent?

And one last one:  Does anyone have any anecdotes about being accepted into GWU or Georgetown (part-time) while working at the USPTO?  Is it generally easy to do with a high undergrad GPA and a good LSAT?  Or is it still pretty competitive or reliant on some other factors?

Thanks in advance, I have been reading almost all threads on this subforum trying to get a picture of career direction.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »