The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Registration Number
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Registration Number  (Read 5408 times)
Jonathan

Re: Registration Number
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 19th, 2006, 12:19pm, smgsmc wrote:
Hi.  Once you've received registration, are there any annual maintenance fees or dues?  Thanks.

Nope.
IP Logged
nsyv

« Reply #21 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:12pm »

Just got my letter in the mail to send in the oath/declaration and data sheet and $100.  My only questions are, who do I make the check out to?  USPTO?  And what's it mean when it asks you to check if you "wish to remain on the register".  What's the register?  List of all the registered patent agents and attorneys?  Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this thing right....thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:13pm by nsyv » IP Logged
biopat

« Reply #22 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 4:53pm »

on Jan 10th, 2006, 9:13am, Jonathan wrote:
The oldest registered practitioner is apparently C. Yardley Chittick, Reg. No. 13,782.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4658913

These following figures are as of Nov. 14, 2006. Along the lines of Reg. No. trivia, the first on the USPTO roster of active attorneys/agents is Charles Voytech with Reg. No. 13,701. Our man Chittick is second on the list, but appears to be the oldest by far. The last on the list has Reg. No. 59,595 and that number is going up quickly every day. By the time I decide to take the exam in the next few months it'll probably hit the 60,000 mark. Despite that, the total number of attorneys/agents on the roster is only 33,421. This means that just over half the total registrants remain active. Around 97% of them are in the US and around 75% of them are attorneys. Among the more recent registrants I see more agents than attorneys. So, while around 25% of current registrants are agents, this number might be creeping up. Of course, some of them may wind up in law school, if not already there, so you never know. Since I'm contemplating getting into the field, I happened to research these stats. Just thought I'll throw this out there.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 6:10am »

I suspect that those registered as agents include a significant number of law students, recent takers of state bar and the odd attorney who hasn't bother updating his status.

The percentage of "real" agents might be creeping up, but the four to one ratio sounds like roughly the same number people were quoting in 1999.

IP Logged

Isaac
examinerq
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 4:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Related ?-  I'm an newish examiner and am thinking of taking the patent bar soon to begin my journey out of the PTO.. I know I can take the exam while still being employed at the Office, but does anyone know if I can get a registration number or would I have to wait until I'm out of there?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »