The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 27th, 2023, 11:56pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   eligibility question for agent exam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: eligibility question for agent exam  (Read 1562 times)
HarrisonBergeron

eligibility question for agent exam
« on: Dec 11th, 2005, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tested out of freshman chemistry with the AP exam (got a "5", the highest score).  Instead of the normal college course, I took a class in physical chemistry for a special medical science program I was in.  This class included three hours of labwork per week (as the USPTO requires) but was not for the ordinary chemistry major.

Later, I got a master's degree in computer science.

I am trying to qualify for the exam under the master's-in-CS rules, which require a year each of chemistry and physics (with additional stipulations about which classes can qualify).  Will the USPTO accept this oddball chemistry class?

If they won't accept it, am I allowed to retake an ordinary freshman chemistry class at another university?

My physics class was likewise for the special program, but I assume that if they'll take the chemistry class, they'll accept the physics class (which I believe was transferrable to the physics major -- I'm not sure whether the chemistry class was).

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2005, 11:46am by HarrisonBergeron » IP Logged
Isaac

Re: eligibility question for agent exam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2005, 12:53pm »

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but from your description it seems worthwhile to get the PTO to make the call.  The PTO will not give credit for chemistry or physics courses designed for non technical majors.  I don't know what a "medical science" program is, so I won't opine on your chances for success.  The PTO will look at the course description in making their call.

If the course is not acceptable, you can take a university level course.  It may be cheaper and more convenient to take a college transfer eligible course at a community college.

Note that the physics/chemsitry requirement is for a two course sequence.   One chemistry and one physics course would not meet the requirement.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2005, 3:42pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
HarrisonBergeron

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:37am »

Thanks, that eases my worry somewhat.  I took three semesters of chemistry (two p-chem, one organic) and two of physics -- I hope this is what you mean by a "two course sequence", and not two full years of each.  The major was technical and at a highly ranked university, and the classes were as rigorous as the regular program, but since pretty much everyone in the program had already taken AP chemistry (or AP biology in a few cases) they didn't want us to duplicate our classwork by taking a regular freshman chemistry class again.

Worst case, I guess I might have to do two chemistry classes in one semester, which isn't all that difficult when you've already had the material repeatedly in the past. Grin  I got forced into taking the fourth-semester Russian class (after years of it in high school) to meet the foreign-language requirement, and the professor told me, "You're getting an A-.  You're doing incredibly well for someone who never comes to class!"
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 5:03am by HarrisonBergeron » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 7:06am »

I meant a two semester sequence.    

The description in your last post suggests that either your physics sequence or your chemistry sequence would meet the requirement (assuming that physics was a lab course).    You only need one such sequence.  Of course the other courses could count towards the total credit hour requirement.

Good luck.
IP Logged

Isaac
HarrisonBergeron

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:44am »

Oh!  I thought I needed both physics and chemistry, two semesters of each.  That's a major relief in and of itself.  Thank you!

I'm nearly sure the physics classes qualify, so that's one major worry gone.  Credit-wise, I took more than enough graduate-level theory classes and should be fine there.

Worst case, maybe I'll go back and take some interesting midlevel physics classes instead of chemistry, or take both semesters of organic -- I could use a refresher on that.

Thanks very much!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »