The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 27th, 2022, 1:12pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Questions about Patent Bar
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Questions about Patent Bar  (Read 944 times)
MattLet
Questions about Patent Bar
« on: Nov 10th, 2005, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan persuing a BSME and I am planning on attending law school right after my undergrad.  I want to get into patent law but have no idea of where to start.  I am looking for some direction because my councelor was unsure about how to go about getting into law school other than getting good grades and getting a good score on the LSAT.

When should I take the LSAT?

Is the LSAT like the ACT, you can take it as many times as you want and the school only takes your best score into account?

When do I start applying to law schools?

Is it better to get experience as an engineer and return to law school after a few years or jump right into law school?

Should i take a summer off of internships, study for the patent bar and take it before i begin my junior year of engineering?

Will passing the patent bar make me elligable for a job in an IP firm before i even attend law school?

What would be a resionable timetable for studying and passing the patent bar?

Where would i find the information on what to study for the patent bar if I do take it before I go to law school?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Questions about Patent Bar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 1:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You most likely won't qualify to take the patent bar without a bachelor's degree.   I think you can qualify by taking and passing the FE exam, but you may not be eligible to take the exam before your senior year of engineering school.

I think law schools will generally average multiple LSAT scores.  You'll want to plan on taking the LSAT just once.
Your LSAT score and your undergrad grades are vitally important in determining how highly regarded a law school you can get into.   How highly regarded the law school you graduate from does affect your job opportunities after graduation.  

Job experience is good but not essential.  

I think I applied for law school during the fall and took the LSAT in October.  Some of my law school classmates took that LSAT that December.    I think the LSAT is given via computer these days and is offered a lot more frequently than back when.
IP Logged

Isaac
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 1:08pm »

Should I take a summer off of internships,
     study for the patent bar and take it before
     I begin my junior year of engineering?  

The USPTO requires that you have a bachelor’s degree before you sit for the patent bar.  See their web site.

Will passing the patent bar make me eligible
     for a job in an IP firm before I even attend law
     school?

If you start law school within a few months of receiving your bachelor’s degree, the timing doesn’t work out.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Sean O'Rourke
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The LSAT is only administered four times a year (February, June, October, and December) via a paper and pencil scantron test.

Issac Clark is correct:  the vast majority of schools average multiple LSAT scores.  Only take the test once when very well prepared.

You need to apply the fall of your senior year of undergrad.  Many schools will not accept a February score for entrance into that same years entering class because the test is given so late in the admissions cycle.

Don't know much about the patent bar...
Good luck.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 1:27am »

That's correct.  The LSAT is still nearly unique among entrance exams in being only offered in the scantron format.
I don't know where I got the impression that this had changed.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »