The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Out on My Own
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Out on My Own  (Read 1725 times)
Sodbuster

Re: Out on My Own
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

All true.  I guess my underlying concern that I failed to clarify is that a semi-sophisticated client (e.g., an industrial client, if the agent is lucky enough to land such a client) will typically want their practitioner to be capable of handling all facets of the prep and pros.  Yes, there are exceptions, one could make a decent living without this, but I believe generally it could affect the success of the practitioner.  However, IMHO, the agent will typically be relegated to the small clients, and as most attorneys and agents with big-client experience will know, it's the small clients that can and will cause the most problems if a date is missed or their IP rights are in any way burdened by negligence of the practitioner.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Out on My Own
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I agree with your concerns Sod, but IMO the major concern is that a lack of experience will result in
bad service and/or getting sued.  If the agent is having trouble getting more than a few client,
a cork board and some thumbtacks is close to all of the docketing system the agent will need for a while.

Most of the stuff that the agent cannot legally handle can be handled by an attorney who is not
a patent practitioner.  The agent can handle the problem of not appearing to be full service by developing a referral relationship with a local attorney or two.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »