The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:16am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Independant Patent Agent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Independant Patent Agent?  (Read 2063 times)
ananth vijay
Re: Independant Patent Agent?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 9:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 27th, 2005, 8:34am, Ananth  Vijay wrote:
Hi! Jess,
I am about to take the patent bar exam. I read your reply to some one's question.  
Have you found yourself a patent agent job? I would love to hear from you. Please respond.Roll Eyes

IP Logged
patento

« Reply #6 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is a wide gap between passing the patent bar and successfully practicing patent prosecution. Generally speaking, it takes about two years of SERIOUS experience in patent practice to cross the threshold to start your own practice. Remember, there will be no one holding your hand or giving you a shoulder once you jump into independent practice.

As to the liability , E&O insurance will take care of it. But, bear in mind, E&O ins. is very expensive. Last but not least, you will need sufficient number of clients, which may not be easy to come by (specially if you are not a lawyer) ....

IP Logged
Bill
« Reply #7 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I may be opening a debate here, but when I recommend 3 years of experience before going solo, I'm basing that on at least one amendment a week and one patent application a month.  However, the emphasis is on the amendments.  And, of course, that work is reviewed by a competent practitioner.

IP Logged
Sodbuster

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27th, 2005, 11:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Bill is correct.  By thinking you can get into this business without much experience is opening yourself (your personal assets) up to liability, because you probably exposed any client of yours to liability.  You need to know what you are doing.  You get this by experience.  Moreover, in reality, the ability to get clients as an Agent will be difficult.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »