The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Independant Patent Agent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Independant Patent Agent?  (Read 2065 times)
jeebrown

Independant Patent Agent?
« on: Oct 25th, 2005, 4:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been seriously considering getting out of the corporate rat race.  One exit strategy is leveraging my considerable technical/industry experience and MS in engineering by sitting for the patent bar and becoming an independant agent.  I am nearing 40 and have a executive level position with an engineering firm.  I know I won't make as much money, but I'd like to free myself from stress and work on my terms.  Anybody else out there face this situation?  Is it tough to get going?  Luckily I have enough of a nest egg that I can forgo a regular salary while I get established, but need to eat at some point!  Any inisghts appreciated.
IP Logged
melwrc

Re: Independant Patent Agent?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are a ton of malpractice liabilities that you would have to deal with to practice alone as an agent.  Simply taking the patent bar will not prepare you to practice alone.
IP Logged
Bill
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know of three patent agents (all MS in engineering) who thought they were competent at the start of their patent careers based on the fact that patent practice is intellectually easier than engineering/science.  That couldn’t have been farther from the truth.  And their work product proved it.  

Competency in patent practice is built over years of experience, regardless if you are an agent or an attorney.  So consider that you will need at least three years of comprehensive mentoring before standing alone.  

Good luck.
IP Logged
Jess
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 8:13pm »

I've heard that the learning curve for writing patents is practically vertical. This means that you would need to be mentored.  That's the position I'm in.  I graduate in May and I'm looking for a place where I can work as an agent for a couple of years before going to law school.  However, all open positions require at least a year of experience.  I don't mind getting paid beans for a year; but does anybody know of a firm or boutique that has a good reputation for training new patent agents?
IP Logged
Ananth  Vijay
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 8:34am »

Hi! I am about to take the patent bar exam. I read your reply to some one's question.  
Have you found yourself a patent agent job? I would love to hear from you. Please respond.Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »