The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 27th, 2022, 11:34am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   transferring from 4th tier school
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: transferring from 4th tier school  (Read 2302 times)
need help
transferring from 4th tier school
« on: Oct 19th, 2005, 2:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am trying to transfer from a 4th tier law school to a bottom 1st tier school. My law school grades aren't hot (2.843, 41th percentile), but higher than the 1st year curve, and I passed the patent bar and I am on moot court and journal. what are my chances of getting accepted? The school said 3.0 law school gpa is considered competitive, but I hear that the admissions people factor in the fact that 4th tier schools set their 1st year curve really low. So do I have a chance, or should I just spend my 65 bucks elsewhere?
IP Logged
melwrc

Re: transferring from 4th tier school
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

transferring law schools in general is an uphill battle, especially if you weren't able to get into the better school based on your pre-lawschool application.  In Houston, it's usually the top 5% from TSU and S Tx that manage to transfer to UH, and UH is a tier II.  
IP Logged
Midnight Rider
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:38pm »

Well, you never know unless you try, but it's a little late. Most schools will not give much attention to transfer applications after the summer before the second year. That being said, I have heard of exceptions. I also heard of someone who was sub 50% at a tier 4 transferring to a top 25. Basically they harassed the admissions office until they agreed to give them a shot.
IP Logged
Bad Chicken
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 5:43pm »

I transferred from a school ranked in the 70s to a school in the 30s.  I had above a 3.0 gpa but we don't get class ranks.  I would not have gotten into the tier 1 school as an undergrad transfer.  I got into the school based on my reasons for wanting a transfer.  That appears to be very important to the law schools I applied to.  
I applied to 2 other schools, one ranked in the 70s and another in the 80s.  Got into the 80s school but not the 70s.  So your guess is as good as anyones.  I do know of people that have transferred out of tier 4s into the tier 1 school I am at.

But like the other poster said, you are very late on applying
IP Logged
want2transfer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 2:58am »

on Oct 27th, 2005, 5:43pm, Bad Chicken wrote:
I got into the school based on my reasons for wanting a transfer.  That appears to be very important to the law schools I applied to.

Bad Chicken,

I too am hoping to transfer from a Tier 2 to a Tier 1, which in my case would be George Washington.  

Would you mind elaborating on the sort of reasons that your school found persuasive?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »