The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Moral Character and Speeding Tickets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Moral Character and Speeding Tickets  (Read 3077 times)
Moral Character and Speeding Tickets
« on: Sep 21st, 2005, 11:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I received my official notice stating that I passed the exam.  However, the letter also stated that I would need to provide "additional information" regarding impediments with my moral character because I answered question 16 on the exam application as "yes."  I answered the question regarding charges in the affirmative because the question only excludes traffic violations with a fine of $100 or less, and the minimum fine for speeding in this jurisdiciton is $110 (maybe $150 now).  Did anyone else have a speeding ticket and have to provide documentation?  I'm assuming they just need a copy of my driving record showing that I paid the fine.  Any information would be very helpful.  Thanks!  P.S.  I called the OED and was told that someone would be sending a letter in "due course" explaining the documentation requirements.  However, I'd like to move the process along and get a head start on requesting my driving record if necessary.
IP Logged
patento

Re: Moral Character and Speeding Tickets
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am not sure if speeding tickets need to be disclosed. Even state bar moral character application form which goes into great details and forces you to split the hair to answer all the questions.... does not require disclosure of normal speeding tickets.  

on Sep 21st, 2005, 11:05am, guest wrote:
I received my official notice stating that I passed the exam.  However, the letter also stated that I would need to provide "additional information" regarding impediments with my moral character because I answered question 16 on the exam application as "yes."  I answered the question regarding charges in the affirmative because the question only excludes traffic violations with a fine of $100 or less, and the minimum fine for speeding in this jurisdiciton is $110 (maybe $150 now).  Did anyone else have a speeding ticket and have to provide documentation?  I'm assuming they just need a copy of my driving record showing that I paid the fine.  Any information would be very helpful.  Thanks!  P.S.  I called the OED and was told that someone would be sending a letter in "due course" explaining the documentation requirements.  However, I'd like to move the process along and get a head start on requesting my driving record if necessary.  

IP Logged
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 3:28pm »

Thank you for your reply!!  Unfortunately, I have already disclosed the ticket -  Undecided .  For my law school application (several years ago) the office of admissions indicated that a speeding ticket counts as a charge and should be disclosed.  Hopefully if I disclosed more information than necessary they will process my registration application in a timely manner...
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 3:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My recollection is that traffic tickets were specifically addressed on the application with a dollar threshold as the poster suggested.    

I don't think you can generalize about the scope of state bar requirements.  They do vary by state.  Some states require all traffic tickets, regardless of dollar amount to be disclosed.    

Generally speaking even a single > $100 traffic ticket is probably not a big deal to the PTO, but failing to disclose it might become one.   And while the PTO may not catch you, a state bar investigation likely uncover the traffic ticket and they likely would be interested in a failure to disclose a ticket to someone who asked about the thing even if they themselves asked or did not ask.

In the olden days the application or the requirements bulletin indicated what kind of documentation should be sent in with the application.  I know the process is different now, but maybe the info required is the same?

IP Logged

Isaac
Original poster
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 3:58pm »

Thank you for your reply as well.  I looked at the Requirements Bulletin again and it said this:  "For
each question answered “YES,” provide a detailed statement setting forth all relevant facts and dates along with verified copies of relevant documents. Your responses must be updated as necessary, prior to your registration."

I'm assuming in this case that "relevant documents" includes a copy of my driving record showing that the ticket has been paid.  It also appears that if you get another ticket (over $100) that you should update your registrating accordingly...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »