The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:28am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Where to look for Patent Agent positions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where to look for Patent Agent positions  (Read 3460 times)
larkas

Re: Where to look for Patent Agent positions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

scuba cat stevens,

Undergraduate GPA does matter, but it depends where you went to school. Law firms often realize that grade inflation hasn't happened in the hard sciences.  

My new job (and the other offers) is based on my computer science degree, not my biology degree. Most firms -- because their clients want it -- want to see at least a master's degree, if not a PhD. You may be able to make up for the lack of a graduate degee with industry experience.

Industry experience is generally seen as favorable but the extent to which it is a plus depends on the firm. I know firms that won't interview people without significant industry experience.  

There is one other site I forgot to mention:  

http://patents.oncloud8.com/paas/

It lets you search for registered patent practicioners within X miles from a certain zip code. This is very helpful in finding out about firms and companies that have patent practicioners in a particular geographic area. Since this list comes indirectly from USPTO records, it is relatively complete. Be careful though as the list is very long near big cities.  If you want to find a firm that hires agents (as oppose to all attorneys), the status of the practicioners is also listed.  The firm's name, address, and telephone number will also be listed.
IP Logged
frank nicholas
Re: Where to look for Patent Agent positions
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 7:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cardinal Law Group based in Evanston, Il is looking for agents with various backgrounds including chemical, biotech, computer science, ee, and me - and they are still hiring, and you can work remote from any state.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »