The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:38am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Current PhD student looking at Patent Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Current PhD student looking at Patent Law  (Read 7941 times)
tech_spec

Re: Current PhD student looking at Patent Law
« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

IPW,
No offense, but you should retake LSAT.  Or, save yourself a few hundred dollars and don't apply to any of the top 30 schools.  Just being realistic.
IP Logged
IPW
« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 3:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

First of all,

I understand that it is rather unrealistic for me to think I'll get into any of the top 14.  

At this point, I don't know if I'll apply to those schools or not.  

Secondly,

I should probably state that I'm interested in staying in the midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, or Milwaukee/Madison).  

Third,

Based upon comparison's from lawschoolnumbers.com, I think I stand a reasonable shot at Iowa, Wisconsin, and potentially Minnesota. The median LSATs at Iowa and Wisconsin are in the 159 range. My 159 should be okay with these choices. All 3 schools are top 32.  

Fourth,

I'm hoping that my Ph.D. will help distinguish me from other candidates with similar numbers.

Fifth,

Chicago-Kent is a school that I should be able to get into. It has a nice IP reputation in Chicago and the surrounding markets.

Lastly,

If I don't get into a program that I want, I can fall back on my Ph.D. and do a post-doc for more experience.

Everything will turn out okay....

IPW
IP Logged
tech_spec

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 3:39pm »

whatever works for you. But some schools take higher LSATs and with your grades, you might have a shot at the top 25 or so.  This may make job searching easier in the future. But whatever... you seem pretty dead set on what you are planning to do, so good luck with that.  Peace.
IP Logged
DCbound
« Reply #8 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

tech_spec wasn't trying to be offensive at all, so don't get defensive.  Smiley

I agree totally. Take 3 months off and make the LSAT your b**ch, so to speak. Raise your score 10 points and they will probably disregard the lower one completely - that is the policy at many schools. Write an addendum about it, how you had a bad day the first time. Do that and you would have a shot at some top 14 schools.

Best of luck.
IP Logged
PiP

« Reply #9 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 4:04pm »

IPW--I don't completely agree with everyone's opinions about the LSAT, but it's not because they are wrong.  There is a lot to be said for playing the law school name game, as ridiculous as that is.  And TechSpec is pretty much an authority on everything IP law.  But I think that if you have a target market of Chicago then you will likely get into Kent and Loyola there, and maybe even NW, and this appears to suit your needs.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation!!!  Pharm rocks!  I would like to hear what you have to say about the biotech market in Chi-town?  I am interested in that city for law school, too , but I honestly don't know too much about it.  Also, make a login here so I can PM you some other stuff.

I am focused on applying to most schools in DC, NYC, Philly, and maybe one or two in Boston.  Am also considering Tulane and UofHouston.  I really hate Boston--went to college in Maine and really anything north of NYC is so crazy cold and miserable.  Boston is rough around the edges and way overpriced for housing, but they hold a lot of good biotech industry and schools captive there.  I also hate Ted Kennedy, not that it has to do with anything at all...I just wanted to mention what a douchebag he is.  Am not really interested in the West Coast so far and no one has mentioned anything to change my mind about it.  West Coast = traffic, to me.

Will setup an acct at lawschoolnumbers.com shortly.  What a great site, huh?!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2005, 5:16pm by PiP » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »