The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:37am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What is the "patent bar" test actually c
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is the "patent bar" test actually c  (Read 699 times)
Charles Jones
What is the "patent bar" test actually c
« on: Jul 30th, 2005, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Having recently passed the test, you would think I would know this but -- it's my understanding that, technically, the "patent bar" test is not *actually* considered a "bar" exam at all.  Even on the USPTO web site, the test is simply referred to as the examination to practice patent work before the USPTO.  I am sending out letters to law firms, and I want to know what to call the test I just passed!  Does anyone know what to call the darn thing!

CJ
IP Logged
Jonathan

Re: What is the "patent bar" test actual
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just say you are a registered patent agent or attorney as the case may be - people who may hire you will appreciate / acknowledge the credentials you have obtained regardless of terminology.
IP Logged
Eliz

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 10:34pm »

But he isn't actually registered yet.  Since the letter explicitly says we cannot hold ourselves out to be patent agents/attorneys until the waiting period is over and the paperwork is in, I think this is a bad idea, even though the people with whom Charles or myself will be interacting will be familiar with the process.  I think that this is a case where it is definitely better to be safe than sorry, considering the potential consequences.  I realize that it's probably very unlikely that one would not get a registration # on this basis, but after all the hard work that goes in to studying for the exam, it would be horrible to not get a registration #.  

I would call OED and ask.  If they say it's okay to just put "registered patent agent" then I would do it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 11:10pm »

Sorry, missed the part that the OP was still waiting for his reg. no. and focused on the 'bar' aspect.
IP Logged
Denise
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 5:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is what I currently put on my resume:

Passed USPTO Registration Exam on [enter date]
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »