The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:38am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What are the top 25 IP law schools?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What are the top 25 IP law schools?  (Read 6186 times)
PiP

Re: What are the top 25 IP law schools?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To my knowledge firms take school name and overall ranking into account more than anything else.  The only IP law school that carries any real weight is George Washington, but that is a great school anyway.  So just like the good old undergraduate admissions, it appears that law school hierarchy is more of a name/fame game and that specialty rankings are only slightly useful to make people who aren't at an Ivy (which I assume will be me) feel better.

I wish someone would post the actual IP law school list from US News (and stop providing links), but it's probably a copyright violation to do so, lol. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
patentpending

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 10:29am »

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,29753.0.html

scroll down the list   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2005, 11:07am by patentpending » IP Logged
DCbound
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 10:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 19th, 2005, 10:10am, PiP wrote:
I wish someone would post the actual IP law school list from US News (and stop providing links), but it's probably a copyright violation to do so, lol. Roll Eyes

If you're curious, the info is available in the newsstand at your local B&N.

imo, links should always be provided and not copied content. Throw the original source a bone for gods sake. Mods should be concerned about paid content posted as well - thats a big no-no.

IP Logged
Eliz

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 11:06am »

DCBound--Thanks for the links...interesting data on the first one (although out of date) and I like that you can look at the rankings by specific factors.  Of course, it's kind of moot for me since I have already made my decision, but interesting nonetheless.
IP Logged
tech spec
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

IP rankings are mostly irrelevant.  If anything, the schools with higher IP rankings might have a slightly higher recognition in the IP community, but not because they provide better IP education, but because they attract more IP students. More IP students = bigger alumni network.  

So don't go to GW if you get into Stanford, but if you are choosing between comparable schools, say, BU and GW, then GW might have a slight edge in terms of the number of IP employers that come to interview on campus.  Although even that might not be the case, since most local IP firms interview in their local markets and large IP bigtiques/GP firms probably interview both at GW and BU.  
I say this as someone who has recently gone through the OCI process in GW.

However, I would think that for IP, GW's alumni network is wider than the alumni network of BU. That might help for latteral moves.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »