The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:40am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What are the top 25 IP law schools?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What are the top 25 IP law schools?  (Read 6187 times)
patentpending

Re: What are the top 25 IP law schools?
« Reply #20 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had the same decision to make - GM vs. GW this year.  Ultimately, I decided that GW was where I wanted to be.  For me, I don't feel like I need to be tied down to the area NoVA/DC after law school and would really enjoy the opportunity to experience a new city.  

I raised these concerns to both Dean Huber (the Director of Career Services at GM), as well as Dean Richard (the Dean of Admission at GM).  While they told me that I would have excellent opportunities with a degree from GM and an interest in IP, Dean Richard made it clear that my opportunities for finding work outside of the local area would be far greater with a degree from GW.  This was due in part to the smaller number of employers recruiting from GM and the smaller alumni network.

You can check out http://www.nalpdirectory.com and search on each of these schools to see which firms/companies come to OCI each fall.  You'll likely notice that GW attracts around 500 employers, while GM attracts around 100.  When I spoke in person with Dean Huber, she told me that it is difficult to get some firms to come to GM because of the student size and other schools in the area.  

I also spoke with the career services office at GW.  While I wasn't completely impressed Sad - it did seem that there were a wealth of resources available to students.  

In the end, I chose GW based on my own visit experiences and the comments made to me by Dean Richard at George Mason.  I figured that the difference in tuition, while certainly not a small amount of change, is less than some people spend on a car.  I'll never have (nor do I desire) the opportunity to repeat law school again - so I chose the higher ranked school.  

The reaction to my decision from other lawyers that I know has been positive and most say that 3-5 years out of law school, I'll never miss the money that I could have saved going to the lower ranked school.  Now....where did I put those loan forms??   Shocked

I should add that the difference in my tuition between the two schools was about 60k, since I'm in-state in Virginia.  You mentioned 45k, I believe.  Does that mean that you are out of state and trying to make the decision between these two schools?
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2005, 1:25pm by patentpending » IP Logged
« Reply #21 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 2:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So George Washington is #3 in IP?  Wow.  I knew it was good, but not that good.

There has been a nice discussion on GM vs GW, but what about Georgetown vs. George Washington for those planning to go into IP?
IP Logged
daven

putting the cart before the horse
« Reply #22 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 4:26pm »

Actually, I'm putting the cart before the horse.  I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so I don't know what schools I could attend.  I did graduate with a 3.6x gpa in BSME so I'm fairly confident about my test taking skills.  I'm studying for the LSAT with the idea of only taking it once.

In my research of decent schools in northern VA, I narrowed my list of schools down to GW and GM based on GW's high IP ranking and GM's low tuition.

You're right about the tuition difference.  I estimated assuming the difference between $30k and $15k over three years.  In reality, the difference comes out to $64692.  Yea, that's definitely a very nice new car.Smiley

http://www.law.gmu.edu/admission/money.html
http://www.law.gwu.edu/finaid/tuition.asp

I'm also interested in a comparison of Georgetown vs. George Washington.  

Good luck in school!
IP Logged
Noob817

« Reply #23 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 8:05pm »

I'm also interested in a  comparison between Georgetown and GW.  
Currently (2006)
Overall Rank:
Georgetown #14
GeorgeWashington #20
BUT...
IP Ranking(as noted)
GW #3
Georgetown #14

Both have good curriculums (I think) in IP.  So which one??
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2005, 7:36pm by Noob817 » IP Logged
melwrc

« Reply #24 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 6:34am »

on Jul 21st, 2005, 7:56pm, cstorm wrote:

Out of curiousity, would you happen to have some idea of how the percentages work between U of H and UT? ... If I had to be near the top of my class at U of H to be accepted as a transfer student to UT, would I be better off being highly ranked in my class at U of H versus middle of the pack at UT?

If you are wanting to practice out of state, a transfer to UT would be a good idea.  For practice in Texas, a top rank (top 10% with law review) at UofH will get you into any of the major firms for IP.  Transferring from a lower ranked school to a high ranked one would probably require a pretty exceptional class rank, so you aren't going to gain much by going to UT unless you want to practice outside of TX.
Good luck in your first year cstorm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »