The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New Scoring of the Revision 2 Test
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Scoring of the Revision 2 Test  (Read 5166 times)
melwrc

Re: New Scoring of the Revision 2 Test
« Reply #10 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think that the prime reason for not giving you your score for passing a licensing exam is that they do not want people to distinguish themselves from fellow licensed people based on scores.
An agent is an agent as far as the PTO is concerned.

What do you call a person that got a 70 on the patent bar?  patent agent (or atty if they also got 70% on a state bar)
IP Logged
prosdog

« Reply #11 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 11:17am »

If I pass, when I take the exam on the 18th, I can assure you I won't care at all what my score was!

I just wish it was over already.  I don't think I studied this hard for my bar exam.
IP Logged
summitdog

« Reply #12 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 2:56pm »

After taking the Patent Bar in October '04, I received notice that I received a 69. Sad  

Per USPTO Rules, I went to the USPTO in Alexandria to look at the questions I answered incorrectly.  THERE WERE ONLY 26!  Mathmatically, the USPTO would have needed to discard >14 questions to receive the score I did.  The USPTO assured me that not that many questions were discarded. Huh

Additionally, I was told that the questions are weighted based on the level of difficulty.  Yet the posting on the USPTO's website clearly states that answering 63 questions correctly out of 90 = 70%  

Does this sound like double speak to anyone else?

I guess it is time to write to my senators again.
IP Logged
Eliz

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 3:14pm »

That's bizarre summitdog...I've never heard anything about weighted exam answers...as I am taking the exam in a little over a week though, I am curious to know if this is true.  If I were you I would call OED and ask again, and I would make sure to talk to someone further up in the pecking order than the person who answers the phone.  Is it possible that the person you spoke to just didn't know what they were talking about?  Also, if you took the exam in Oct'04, do the procedures for appealing your score still apply to you?  
By the way, the 63/90 procedure only went into effect recently, around the beginning of June '05, so that would not apply to you.  Thus, if you got 26 wrong, your score should have been 74%, which would be passing, unless that thing about the weighted questions turns out to be true.  I certainly hope it's not, because that puts into question whether my scores on the practice exams are really representative.  Please post if you find out anything.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #14 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 3:34pm »

This is just my wild-ass-guess: could it be that the weighting is used when the questions are selected by the computer for a particular exam?

In other words, the PTO presumably has stats that show that certain questions are less often answered correctly than other questions.  I'd hope that the pseudo-randomization algorithm used to assign questions to each exam takes that into account.  That way no one individual has their test loaded with all easy questions or all tough questions.

I’d be surprised if they actually weight questions when grading ... but who knows?  

I took one of the last few paper exams.  I was shocked when the current procedure was announced.  The idea that the questions, correct answers, and detailed statistics are not published is disappointing, but consistent with our current administration’s distain for transparency in government.

Rich T
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »