The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Locations where biotech IP law is practiced ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Locations where biotech IP law is practiced ?  (Read 3337 times)
PiP

Re: Locations where biotech IP law is practiced ?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

PT - thanks so much for the information.  These firms you listed are extremely helpful!  

I am studying for the LSAT now to take in October.  That is really the deciding factor in how this scenerio will play out for me...but I always find it better to plan for the worst and hope for the best and am trying to consider all options.  

Hah, if I ended up at FP by some horrible circumstance I could get a summer associateship milking cows or pulling weeds, LOL!  The sad part about that joke is that I would still be making more money pulling weeds than using my PhD for research...
IP Logged
IPLVR
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 3:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"Now, on the other hand, if you go to school at Franklin Pierce, good luck finding a summer job in Concord NH.  Good luck finding a job anywhere for that matter!"

Cute, I admit there is some truth to that.  But I know that as a PhD there should be no problem.  I went to FPLC and a friend of mine had with a PhD had a summer job offer secured by the end of August.  

There is more stuff to do than milk cows.    
IP Logged
PiP

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 3:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That is actually relieving to hear, IPLVR.  Obviously everyone cannot go to the law schools where everyone drinks tea with their pinkies in the air!

Are FP students able to get work in the Woburn, MA area or down in Boston?  It seems to me that with all the biotech stuff going on there a PhD/JD could still do very well even if they had to deal with the negativity (deserved or not) that appears to have attached itself to FP.
IP Logged
IPLVR
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25th, 2005, 9:20pm »

"Are FP students able to get work in the Woburn, MA area or down in Boston?  It seems to me that with all the biotech stuff going on there a PhD/JD could still do very well even if they had to deal with the negativity (deserved or not) that appears to have attached itself to FP."

To answer your question.  I would say it depends on the firms.  The Boston market is one of the hardest markets to get a foot in the door.  There are a lot of law schools in Boston (BU, BC, Harvard, North Eastern, New England School of law....) and many of the graduates of these schools stick around.  That makes it harder for FPLC graduates to get jobs at big firms.  FPLC has a good connection to Mintz, Wolf Greenfield, Lando.  There were good ties to Testa but since that firm closed the people went mainly to Goodwin I think.  So FPLC might have a connection there.  Oh and there is one FPLC who is a partner at Foley.  I would say it is possible to find a job in the Boston market but at a smaller IP firm.
IP Logged
IPLVR
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25th, 2005, 9:23pm »

PiP have you considered looking into a law clerk program? I think with your backgroun you might have a chance. It is not easy to do but would be a great opportunity.  I think Wilmer Cutler was looking for agents? Or was it Goodwin.  

I am not sure but I remember seeing a posting.  To find some just go to martindale.com and pick a city (try DC) and search for area of practice - IP and then go through all the firm's websites.  It is a pain in the butt - but those couple of hours will pay off...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »