The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Using Legal Authority
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Using Legal Authority  (Read 2710 times)
melwrc

Re: Using Legal Authority
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A resume blast mailing has a low success rate unless you have a background that stands out greatly.  The fact that the particular firm will be able to tell that they are one in a mass mailing based on the generic letter means that they are less likely to spend the time to establish contact with you.  If you do happen to get called from a letter alone, you can lose a chance fast if you aren't immediately familiar with the particular firm, which is likely the case as they were one of many.  

I haven't ever tried the approach on the applicant side.  I'm speaking based on my perceptions at my firm when we do resume and cover letter reviews.  We call back the ones that stand out (higher than our actual criteria).  If you get a call and don't seem to have a clue about the firm, buh bye, we will get back to you...meaning you can expect to receive a 1-pg letter in the mail.  

If you do the resume blast, I'd suggest looking at the list of firms that received resumes from you.  Select a reasonable number (based on your time available) of firms to focus on.  For selecting firms to focus on, consider your particular qualifications and desires relative to the criteria and practices areas of the firm.  After about a week, attempt to establish contact with the recipient of the letter.  Many will say, "we'll get back to you," but you can get lucky and actually talk about your resume sometimes.  If they haven't looked at it yet, they are more likely to select your resume after recalling that you called them, assuming that you presented yourself well on the phone.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2005, 5:35pm by melwrc » IP Logged
Danny S.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 12:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am not so sure about legal authority, but l have used lawfirmconnect.com, and I got a job using their service.  I think they are also much less expensive then legal authority, i would recommend it if you are looking to work as an attorney in a firm.
IP Logged
Ed 2007
« Reply #7 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:58pm »

Lawfirmconnect is a complete fraud!  They post fake adds on craigslist, then send you solicitations.  Do not use!!!
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Statistically speaking, only 4% or around of people do actually get a job through online job searches in the US.  I don't know how accurate this statistical analysis is especially in the legal profession.

Maybe due diligence might/must/should/would work betterHuh

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
daniel Cooper
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 6:39pm »

Legal authority is a good service, however it is very expensive.  I was going to use it, until i found out about Law Firm Connect.  It is basically the same service, but much less expensive.  I was able to get an associate position using Law Firm Connect.  Don't get suckerd by Legal authority, use Law Firm Connect.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »